Author Topic: Pontifical Pronouncements: A Case Study in Climate Change Dogma  (Read 252 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Pontifical Pronouncements: A Case Study in Climate Change Dogma
13 hours ago Charles Rotter 40 Comments

In an interview that saw Pope Francis grace the screens of American television, a curious fusion of religious authority and climatological commentary was on full display. Speaking from the Vatican, the Pope tackled a variety of topics, but none seemed to ignite his fervor quite like the topic of climate change, where he promptly labeled skeptics as “fools.”

Let’s unpack the nature of this discourse, starting with the Pope’s assertion. By dubbing climate change deniers as “foolish,” the Pope effectively shuts down the critical, scientific inquiry that is the bedrock of robust scientific discourse. Such a dismissal, especially coming from a religious leader, applies the import of religious dogma to a secular issue.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13347387/Pope-Francis-uses-TV-interview-slam-climate-change-deniers.html

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2024/04/26/dissecting-the-pontifical-pronouncements-a-case-study-in-climate-change-dogma/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Pontifical Pronouncements: A Case Study in Climate Change Dogma
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2024, 01:35:06 pm »
If the Pope prayed for guidance on this issue, he heard the Prince of Darkness, not the Prince of Light. :thud:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Thomas Jefferson