Author Topic: Closure of nuclear plant sparks debate as new problem arises: 'It's been a real step backward'  (Read 120 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

Closure of nuclear plant sparks debate as new problem arises: 'It's been a real step backward'
© Provided by The Cool Down

The 2017 decision by New York energy officials to begin closing the Indian Point nuclear power plant couldn't have been an easy one to make, but it was initially perceived as a win for the environment. Now, the fallout of the decision is raising new questions.

What happened?
By shuttering the facility, officials eliminated an installation with a growing amount of risky incidents, according to published reports, per the Guardian. The move also provided an opportunity for the state's renewable commitments to shine.

However, the nuclear powerhouse had been generating air pollution-free energy since being licensed in the 1970s, serving as one of the state's 10 largest electricity makers, according to the federal government.   

But natural gas has surpassed the wind and sun in replacing the fission reactor's generation in the Empire State, per a J.P. Morgan report.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/lifestyle-buzz/closure-of-nuclear-plant-sparks-debate-as-new-problem-arises-it-s-been-a-real-step-backward/ar-AA1nKDWY?ocid=msedgntp&pc=HCTS&cvid=ded8cc77642d4389fdd4a1a4d0041586&ei=60
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson