Author Topic: Jonathan Turley> Oral arguments suggest the Supreme Court’s about to plunge into a constitutional ab  (Read 701 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Oral arguments suggest the Supreme Court’s about to plunge into a constitutional abyss in Trump immunity case
By Social Links for Jonathan Turley
Published April 25, 2024, 5:06 p.m. ET

Writer Ray Bradbury once said, “Living at risk is jumping off the cliff and building your wings on the way down.”

In Thursday’s case before the Supreme Court on the immunity of former President Donald Trump, nine justices appear to be feverishly working with feathers and glue on a plunge into a constitutional abyss.

It has been almost 50 years since the high court ruled presidents have absolute immunity from civil lawsuits in Nixon v. Fitzgerald.

The court held ex-President Richard Nixon had such immunity for acts taken “within the ‘outer perimeter’ of his official responsibility.”

Yet in 1974’s United States v. Nixon, the court ruled a president is not immune from a criminal subpoena. Nixon was forced to comply with a subpoena from special counsel Leon Jaworski for his White House tapes in the Watergate scandal.

Since then, the court has avoided any significant ruling on the extension of immunity to a criminal case — until now.

more
https://nypost.com/2024/04/25/opinion/oral-arguments-suggest-the-supreme-courts-about-to-plunge-into-a-constitutional-abyss-in-trump-immunity-case/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline DefiantMassRINO

The United States Constitution is antithesis of Europe's "Divine Right of Kings" and "Absolute Right of Kings".

Which Article, Section, Clause, or Amendment of the US Constitution enumerates that the President is absolutely immune from prosecution for all potential crimes committed while holding Office?

We are allegedly a nation of laws.  Laws are written.  Show us the piece of paper, the page, the paragraph, the sentence, and the written words that grant the Office of President, or the Holder of the Office of President, absolute immunity?

The Office of the President only has the powers provided to it by the US Constitution, or delegated to the Executive by Laws of Congress.  If it ain't in writting, it's bull$h!t.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
The United States Constitution is antithesis of Europe's "Divine Right of Kings" and "Absolute Right of Kings".

Which Article, Section, Clause, or Amendment of the US Constitution enumerates that the President is absolutely immune from prosecution for all potential crimes committed while holding Office?

We are allegedly a nation of laws.  Laws are written.  Show us the piece of paper, the page, the paragraph, the sentence, and the written words that grant the Office of President, or the Holder of the Office of President, absolute immunity?

The Office of the President only has the powers provided to it by the US Constitution, or delegated to the Executive by Laws of Congress.  If it ain't in writting, it's bull$h!t.

In the context of the article, you would be on the side of "No immunity, whatsoever."  I can't wait for the Obama and Biden trials.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"

The Office of the President only has the powers provided to it by the US Constitution, or delegated to the Executive by Laws of Congress.  If it ain't in writing, it's bull$h!t.

So if some local sheriff decides to toss a sitting President into jail for 120 days for alleged littering, he can do it?  Because I see nothing explicit in the Constitution preventing that.

I think common law sovereign immunity should apply unless expressly disavowed in the Constitution.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2024, 06:02:33 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline DefiantMassRINO

We need to codify common law.  Common law and precedent are legal silly putty.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline roamer_1

We need to codify common law.  Common law and precedent are legal silly putty.

'Common law' is an extension of the English Common law, as defined by Blackstone, and used as precedence since our founding... Along with the Holy Bible, as an aside...

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
'Common law' is an extension of the English Common law, as defined by Blackstone, and used as precedence since our founding... Along with the Holy Bible, as an aside...

Yeah, I can imagine the Leftists codifying that.  If you thought the Abortion Wars were bad......
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline roamer_1

Yeah, I can imagine the Leftists codifying that.  If you thought the Abortion Wars were bad......

:shrug:

It is what it is.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

It is what it is until it isn't.  This Supreme Court has shown its willingness to "re-evaluate" alleged "Common Law" and alleged "Precedent".

No Common Law nor Precedent is safe from this Supreme Court.

If they have to perform all that logical masturbation to avoid saying "The President of the United States does not have Absolute Immunity for Private Criminal Acts", we can't trust them to protect the US Constitution.

American Revolution 101 = Kings are bad.

Offline roamer_1

It is what it is until it isn't.  This Supreme Court has shown its willingness to "re-evaluate" alleged "Common Law" and alleged "Precedent".

No Common Law nor Precedent is safe from this Supreme Court.

If they have to perform all that logical masturbation to avoid saying "The President of the United States does not have Absolute Immunity for Private Criminal Acts", we can't trust them to protect the US Constitution.

American Revolution 101 = Kings are bad.

Well it ain't absolute. A president can't just haul off and shoot somebody and not expect prosecution - Impeachment, sure, and prosecution once the conviction occurs. So no, there is no absolute case. But the normal dealings should be protected, I do believe. Otherwise every president from here on in will be prosecuted upon leaving office.