Author Topic: Climate Change And The Law: The Absurdity Escalates  (Read 64 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Climate Change And The Law: The Absurdity Escalates
« on: April 26, 2024, 02:02:20 pm »
Climate Change And The Law: The Absurdity Escalates
Tilak Doshi
Contributor
I analyze energy economics and related public policy issues.Follow

Apr 21, 2024,06:47pm EDT

In an astonishing verdict, Europe’s highest human rights court ruled on April 9 that countries must better protect their citizens from “the consequences of climate change.” In the landmark ruling, setting a legal precedent across 46 member states of the Council of Europe, the court sided with a group of women called KlimaSeniorinnen or “Senior Women for Climate Protection.”

The elderly Swiss ladies claimed that their lives were endangered by heatwaves caused by “climate change.” In the court’s judgment, there is no uncertainty that heat waves are induced — as “scientific knowledge” supposedly makes clear — by fossil fuel use in modern industrial civilization. This is the first time an international court ruled on a climate-related human rights issue, in the first decision confirming governments have a legal obligation to “protect” people from the alleged effects of “climate change.” According to the court,

nadequate State action to combat climate change exacerbated the risks of harmful consequences and subsequent threats for the enjoyment of human rights – threats already recognised by governments worldwide. The current situation therefore involved compelling present-day conditions, confirmed by scientific knowledge, which the Court could not ignore in its role as a judicial body tasked with the enforcement of human rights.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tilakdoshi/2024/04/21/climate-change-and-the-law-the-lunacy-escalates/?sh=ba4654e42a29
« Last Edit: April 26, 2024, 02:03:09 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson