Author Topic: Criminal charges proposed for illegal immigrants entering Louisiana  (Read 152 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Criminal charges proposed for illegal immigrants entering Louisiana
The penalty for a first offense would be a maximum of six months in prison and any subsequent offenses could draw up to a year in prison.

By Steve Wilson | The Center Square
Published: April 24, 2024 11:06pm

Updated: April 25, 2024 6:37am

(The Center Square) -
Legislation proposing criminal charges for undocumented immigrants entering Louisiana has passed a committee in the House of Representatives.

The bill moving forward Wednesday from the Committee on Administration of Criminal Justice is similar to legislation in neighboring Texas. It passed the panel 7-4 and was opposed by the Southern Poverty Law Center and migrant groups.

Next would be a House floor vote.

The Senate, by 28-11 on April 9, has already passed Senate Bill 388 sponsored by Sen. Valarie Hodges, R-Denham Springs. If it becomes law, the governor could set up a border compact with Texas.

https://justthenews.com/nation/states/center-square/criminal-charges-proposed-undocumented-immigrants-entering-louisiana
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Criminal charges proposed for illegal immigrants entering Louisiana
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2024, 12:21:38 pm »
The ABA must be drooling over all the potential litigation (money) coming from immigration. :judge:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson