Author Topic: Biden Bans the Use of Fossil Fuels in New Federal Buildings  (Read 487 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Biden Bans the Use of Fossil Fuels in New Federal Buildings
« on: April 25, 2024, 11:38:48 am »
Biden Bans the Use of Fossil Fuels in New Federal Buildings
Story by Ari Natter • 17h • 1 min read

(Bloomberg) -- Fossil fuel use will be banned in new federal buildings starting in 2030 under a Biden administration rule that the natural gas industry fought for more than a decade.

The final rule, announced Wednesday, adds the federal government’s heft to the movement to electrify buildings as part of the fight against climate change, phasing out gas. New federal buildings constructed between 2025 and 2029 must achieve a 90% decrease in fossil fuel consumption, relative to 2003 levels. Those built or substantially renovated from 2030 onward must have no on-site fossil fuel use.

Over the next 30 years, the rule is expected to cut carbon emissions by 2 million metric tons and methane emissions by 16 thousand tons, roughly equivalent to the emissions from 310,000 homes in a single year, according to Energy Department estimates.

The mandate, authorized by a 2007 energy law signed by President George W. Bush, has been panned by groups such as the American Gas Association, which say natural gas is more affordable than electricity. Their opposition helped block the Obama administration’s attempts to establish the rule.

“President Biden has charged the Federal Government to lead by example by transforming its footprint of over 300,000 buildings to be more energy efficient and climate resilient,” said Brenda Mallory, chair of the White House Council on Environmental Quality, in a statement.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/biden-bans-the-use-of-fossil-fuels-in-new-federal-buildings/ar-AA1nB54P?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=HCTS&cvid=e439d4604c434f58b5ea5303a6b80aea&ei=83
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Biden Bans the Use of Fossil Fuels in New Federal Buildings
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2024, 02:17:28 pm »
Why not?

It isn't their money. It's ours.

Turn your thermostats down in winter and up in the summer like the Carter years.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Re: Biden Bans the Use of Fossil Fuels in New Federal Buildings
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2024, 03:52:46 pm »
Don't go at it half-assed Joe, go 100% and ban fossil fuels in their construction too! That'll show that green vote your pandering to that your really serious!