General Category > Health/Education

Atrial fibrillation becoming more common in middle-aged people

(1/1)

PeteS in CA:
Atrial fibrillation becoming more common in middle-aged people

https://www.upi.com/Health_News/2024/04/22/atrial-fibrillation-middle-age/5051713792902/

--- Quote ---The dangerous heart rhythm disorder called atrial fibrillation is becoming more common in middle-aged people, a new study warns.

More than a quarter of patients at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC) seeking care for A-Fib during the last decade were younger than 65, researchers found.
The study also found that younger patients with A-Fib were more likely to die or to be hospitalized for heart failure, stroke or heart attack.

Atrial fibrillation is a quivering or irregular heartbeat in the upper chambers of the heart. The condition increases a person's risk of heart failure and stroke.
--- End quote ---

A-fib can go undetected until something serious happens. My 80-something Dad's was diagnosed after he crashed into someone's garage door while driving home, not remembering how he even came to be in that street. He got a pacemaker and also quit driving. My A-fib was discovered after having an otherwise unexplained stroke.

roamer_1:

--- Quote from: PeteS in CA on April 23, 2024, 06:40:43 pm ---Atrial fibrillation becoming more common in middle-aged people

https://www.upi.com/Health_News/2024/04/22/atrial-fibrillation-middle-age/5051713792902/

A-fib can go undetected until something serious happens. My 80-something Dad's was diagnosed after he crashed into someone's garage door while driving home, not remembering how he even came to be in that street. He got a pacemaker and also quit driving. My A-fib was discovered after having an otherwise unexplained stroke.

--- End quote ---

Me too - Although my heart seems to be fine now. I wear a smart watch all the time, which has the capacity to warn me if I slip into a-fib. Dunno that it works, but it is supposed to.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version