Author Topic: Colorado Counties and Sheriffs Sue State over Sanctuary Laws  (Read 92 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Colorado Counties and Sheriffs Sue State over Sanctuary Laws
« on: April 23, 2024, 05:31:37 pm »
Colorado Counties and Sheriffs Sue State over Sanctuary Laws

April 22, 2024

FAIR Take | April 2024

The State of Colorado last week was served with a lawsuit by two Colorado counties, Douglas and El Paso, and their respective sheriffs, seeking to strike down two state laws for illegally interfering with federal immigration enforcement laws. Darren Weekly is the elected Sheriff of Douglas County, Colorado Joseph Roybal is the elected Sheriff of El Paso County, Colorado.

The first law being challenged is House Bill (H.B.) 19-1124, which was signed into law by Governor Jared Polis in May 2019. This law prohibits Colorado law enforcement officers from honoring ICE detainers. It also prohibits probation employees from providing personal information about individuals to federal immigration authorities.

The second law being challenged is H.B. 23-1100, which became effective in June 2023. That law bans local governments, including county sheriffs, from contracting with the federal government to detain aliens.

https://www.fairus.org/state-immigration-legislation-policies/colorado-counties-and-sheriffs-sue-state-over-sanctuary-laws
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson