General Category > Space

After Months of Gibberish, Voyager 1 Is Communicating Well Again

<< < (4/4)

DB:

--- Quote from: Elderberry on April 23, 2024, 09:00:00 pm ---My first computer was the SYM-1 with all of 4 KB of RAM.

--- End quote ---

That predates my first working with a CPU which I wire-wrapped together in the late 70's. It was Z80 with fuse link ROM... I don't fully remember but I think it had 128 bytes of RAM. Did the programming on a big piece of graph paper in machine language... Made a touch tone phone dialer with it. You could press # key followed by two more keys to speed dial someone...

Free Vulcan:

--- Quote from: DB on April 23, 2024, 08:08:55 pm ---I believe it has (the Voyager computer) 70 kB of memory.

--- End quote ---

Is there any device anymore that only has 70kB of memory? Can't think of any. Even the tiniest sensors or such I can see having far more than that.

Cyber Liberty:

--- Quote from: roamer_1 on April 23, 2024, 07:36:44 pm ---Considering your smart watch probably has more computing power nowadays...

--- End quote ---

It does, by far!

DB:

--- Quote from: Free Vulcan on April 23, 2024, 10:15:31 pm ---Is there any device anymore that only has 70kB of memory? Can't think of any. Even the tiniest sensors or such I can see having far more than that.

--- End quote ---

Maybe a garage door fob...

Hoodat:

--- Quote from: Elderberry on April 23, 2024, 01:02:04 pm ---But in mid-November 2023 Voyager 1’s data transmissions became garbled, sending NASA engineers on a slow quest to troubleshoot the distant spacecraft.

--- End quote ---

&@%$! Windows updates.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version