State Chapters > Arizona

Murder trial for AZ rancher who allegedly shot trespassing illegal immigrant to death ends in mistri

<< < (2/4) > >>

Cyber Liberty:

--- Quote from: Fishrrman on April 23, 2024, 09:56:35 pm ---Not sure if this is mentioned in the original article, but it was an 8-member jury.

The vote was 7-to-1 for acquittal.

--- End quote ---

Correct. One Juror held out to convict. I think charges will be refiled, just to bleed the Rancher dry.

Smokin Joe:
He should have been given a medal...

Right_in_Virginia:

--- Quote from: Wingnut on April 23, 2024, 12:51:59 pm ---Should have been acquitted.

AZ will probably retry him.

--- End quote ---

AZ will probably charge the juror who voted not guilty with a felony.

Smokin Joe:

--- Quote from: Right_in_Virginia on April 24, 2024, 12:06:51 am ---AZ will probably charge the juror who voted not guilty with a felony.

--- End quote ---
Check again, the vote was 7-1 for acquittal.

mystery-ak:
Arizona rancher George Alan Kelly defense says 'lone holdout' juror blocked acquittal, state weighs 2nd trial
Kelly's defense says 7 jurors wanted 'not guilty' verdict, while 'one, lone holdout' in Arizona wanted to convict
Danielle Wallace By Danielle Wallace Fox News
Published April 23, 2024 1:33pm EDT

Arizona rancher George Alan Kelly’s defense confirmed to Fox News Digital that there was "one, lone holdout" who wanted to convict, while the remaining jurors sought an acquittal.

Arizona Superior Court Judge Thomas Fink declared that the case ended in a mistrial on Monday, as the jurors were unable to reach a unanimous decision to convict Kelly of second-degree murder or any of the lower counts of manslaughter, negligent homicide or aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. Fink scheduled a 1:30 p.m. status hearing for Monday, April 29.

Fink said that the hearing next week will "allow the state to take a look at the situation and decide whether or not it wishes to ask the court to reset the matter for trial."

"The jury verdict was seven to acquit and one, lone holdout who was stubborn and would not listen to evidence," the defense team told Fox News Digital. "All the other jurors were angry about it."

The jury remained deadlocked after deliberating since Thursday for more than 15 hours.

"They won't wear me down," Kelly said at the courthouse of the potential of being tried a second time, according to AZ Central.

"I feel like I've been in suspension for 15 months, and I'm getting nowhere, and I'm still on that treadmill. We have to wait a little longer," Kelly's wife, Wanda Kelly, added Monday, according to the outlet.

more
https://www.foxnews.com/us/arizona-rancher-george-alan-kellys-defense-says-lone-hold-out-juror-blocked-acquittal-state-weighs-2nd-trial

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version