General Category > General Discussion

Fan Mail Friday (4-21-24)

<< < (3/3)

mystery-ak:
btt....

Timber Rattler:
1.   What’s your worst airport story?

In June 2011, I was on a Southwest Airlines flight to San Antonio for business-related tours at Lackland Air Force Base, Fort Sam Houston, and Brooke Army Medical Center.  It was a late evening flight and central Texas was hit with several severe tornado-spawning thunderstorms so we had to land at Love Field in Dallas.  It was about midnight, and we were told by the flight attendants that there would be a 6-hour or so layover there before continuing on to San Antonio International Airport.  Our luggage was NOT going to be offloaded, so we had to spend that night in the otherwise deserted gate area.  No agent was there to meet us or assist us, and I distinctly remembered a young mother with a fussy, hungry infant who was looking for help but received none from Southwest.  I found a dark corner to sit and snooze a bit but it was a tough night, especially with the crying baby, and I got little sleep, with my business visits scheduled to begin promptly at 9:00 a.m. that morning.  A gate agent arrived at 5:00 a.m. and we were back on the plane by 7:00 a.m., taking off shortly afterward.  We landed in San Antonio about an hour later and my military contact met me at arrival pick-up to rush me to Lackland for my first meeting.  I was tired and in pretty rough shape from overnighting at the Southwest gate area in Dallas, but somehow made all my engagements that day, before finally arriving at my hotel, checking-in, and crashing.

2.   With whom would you most want to go out for a beer? (Living or not)

Teddy Roosevelt would be fun!

3.   What’s your favorite past movie to re-watch?

Patton.

4.   Do you have a good sense of direction?

Yes, I can do land navigation.

5.   If your pet had a human job, he or she would be a __________?

Psychotherapist.

6.   What’s the worst hairstyle you’ve ever had?

1960s Beatles-style "bowl around the head" haircut when I was a kid (thanks Mom!)

7.   On a long trip, which would you rather have – a paper book or your phone?

Book.  Phones irritate me when I'm traveling.

DB:
I was on an American Airlines flight that had just taken off with a horrible mechanical noise repeating over and over from below the passenger deck. The landing gear was stuck. It was a flight from North Caroline to Arizona. The hydraulics had failed... The plane circled dumping fuel for about 45 minutes and then went in for the landing... They didn't know if the landing gear was locked. We were all in the tucked position... Fire trucks and emergency vehicles followed the sides of the plane down the runway... There was no steering so the plane had to be towed to the gate to unload.

There was a distinct possibility I wasn't going to make it.

No fun at all.

Polly Ticks:

1.   What’s your worst airport story?

Definitely the worst flight experience for me was the time I was someone else's worst experience. When my 3rd son was a few months old we flew to Florida to visit my mother-in-law.  The flight there was fine, but on the flight home my kiddo decided he did NOT like it.  He began screaming his little head off about 10 minutes into the flight and could not be consoled.  I tried nursing so his ears would pop (he always refused to use a pacifier at all), walking him in the galley area, toys/distractions ... nothing but constant screaming. By about the middle of the flight I was crying, too, and just repeatedly apologizing to everyone. When we finally landed, as we were disembarking the very nice young man who had been our flight attendant handed me a little bag and said, "You're ok, but I think you need this."  I thanked him, apologized some more, and shoved the bag into my diaper bag.  When I got home and opened it I found 3 or 4 little bottles of liquor.  And for the record, I took Mr.-Fussy-Pants-With-Really-Good-Lungs to the doctor and no, he did not have any ear infection.  :shrug:

2.   With whom would you most want to go out for a beer? (Living or not)

Living.

3.   What’s your favorite past movie to re-watch?

The Princess Bride

4.   Do you have a good sense of direction?

Meh, average.

5.   If your pet had a human job, he or she would be a __________?

Max, the old, fat, long-haired dachshund, would definitely laze around all day and just collect welfare.

6.   What’s the worst hairstyle you’ve ever had?

My husband was laid off from his job just a couple of weeks after my 4th son was born.  Between the post-partum hormone changes and the stress of having 4 kids and a husband who was out of work, I lost a LOT of hair. I parted it on the opposite side and combed it in all kinds of strange ways to try to hide the huge bald spots.  It was pitiful.  Thank God, it did grow back.

7.   On a long trip, which would you rather have – a paper book or your phone?

My first answer is always going to be a book (or rather, my Kindle paperwhite), but I probably would end up choosing the phone because I would absolutely HATE not being able to be in touch with my kids. In a pinch, I could read (or use Audible) on my phone.

berdie:
Pre 9/11 I flew into the Abilene airport to see my out-laws. My MIL (the best cook evah!) gave me homemade canned chow-chow and wild plum jelly. When passing security to go home evidently the jars looked suspicious, so my luggage was searched. The TSA guy saw what it was and said very seriously...Little lady, I'm gonna have to confiscate this. It looks dangerous. When he saw my lip start to quiver, he laughed and said he was kidding. Good thing because I might have had to go to jail to keep that particular "contraband", lol.

There are so many historical people I would love to talk to from the past. But I would like to talk to my granny to find out why she quit talking to grandpa for years...or my deceased hubby. Although my Granny didn't drink. But hubby did enjoy a beer or two. happy77

I watch so many movies over and over, it's hard to say. But probably GWTW is the most watched (and read).

Good sense of direction. Only acquired in later times. Once, long ago, we were in New Mexico and were going to Red River. I accidently gave directions to Santa Fe. Oops!

No pets presently. But I had a wolf/husky mix  that would have been an excellent exterminator. I called him Snake Killer. I miss him.

I wore my hair really long until I was 11 or 12. When my mom convinced me to cut it...the beautician gave me a style that looked like Prince Valiant. Really bad look.

Although I prefer a book, if on a trip and given the choice, today I'd have to choose a phone or tablet. More versatility.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version