Author Topic: China’s dangerous battery monopoly  (Read 96 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
China’s dangerous battery monopoly
« on: April 20, 2024, 10:20:55 am »
China’s dangerous battery monopoly
By
David Wojick
|
April 15th, 2024

China has acquired dangerous monopoly power over battery production worldwide. CFACT has published my brief study report on this new threat — “CHINA’S GRAPHITE MONOPOLY.”

To begin with, here is the Executive Summary:

“China is positioned to adversely influence lithium-ion battery production worldwide. China has monopoly control over processed graphite, an essential component of almost all lithium-ion batteries. Virtually all processed graphite, natural and synthetic, is made in China then exported to the battery makers worldwide.

These batteries are used universally in electric and electronic devices, from cell phones and watches to EVs and huge grid-scale backup batteries; there are numerous essential military uses, as well.

China is just now beginning to implement an export control program for processed graphite. By controlling exports, China could, to a significant degree, adversely influence much lithium-ion battery production, such as by raising prices to selected producers or even blacklisting entire countries.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2024/04/20/chinas-dangerous-battery-monopoly/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson