Author Topic: House Republicans turn on one another as they debate throwing Johnson over the ledge  (Read 287 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
House Republicans turn on one another as they debate throwing Johnson over the ledge
By
Rachel Schilke
and
Cami Mondeaux
April 18, 2024 6:00 pm

While this year has proven to be a tumultuous time in Congress, House Republicans find themselves face to face with yet another chaotic showdown this week as the conference fractures over foreign aid and a possible motion to vacate House Speaker Mike Johnson (R-LA).

The release of Johnson’s four-pronged foreign aid plan combined with Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene’s (R-GA) motion to vacate has tensions running high on Capitol Hill, resulting in louder and more public displays of infighting as the House GOP seeks a path forward without relying on Democrats to bail them out.

The Republican conference has been plagued by months of discourse, but it’s come to a head over the last few weeks during battles over the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act and now the foreign aid legislation to Ukraine, Israel, and other nations.

House Freedom Caucus members and their hard-right allies are on one side of the battle, calling on Johnson to call Democrats’ bluff and force them to move on border security. Members who typically get along with the hard-line caucus are reaching their limit, accusing their colleagues of caring more about fundraising and social media hits than governing.

Emotions ran high on Thursday when Reps. Derrick Van Orden (R-WI) and Matt Gaetz (R-FL) got into a heated argument on the House floor that resulted in name-calling. Several members confirmed to the Washington Examiner that Johnson was meeting with House Freedom Caucus members and other hard-line GOP members, including Gaetz, when Van Orden came up to the group.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/house/2971329/house-republicans-turn-each-other-debate-throwing-johnson-ledge/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I don't see the point in another Vacate the Chair Motion.  We'll just get another McCarthy or Johnson, with the added excuse of "the chaos" to refuse to pass anything Republican. 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline DefiantMassRINO

How much some tool nominates Donald Trump to be Speaker?
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
How much some tool nominates Donald Trump to be Speaker?

I don't think it will come to that.  The Motion to Vacate has to pass first.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: