Author Topic: Conservatives Should Stop Embracing Liberals Just Because They Say Something We Like.. Derek Hunter  (Read 388 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Conservatives Should Stop Embracing Liberals Just Because They Say Something We Like
Derek Hunter

Republicans love it when a liberal says something vaguely conservative, or even expressly so. It immediately is tweeted, retweeted or straight out stolen by content thieves desperate for engagement clicks for cash and goes viral. People get excited and elevate the person who said it, they’re praised on cable news and talk radio, maybe even invited to speak at various conservative conferences. It’s stupid, damaging to the cause and needs to end.

It's great clickbait, and who doesn’t love that, but it’s not helpful. It’s not helpful because it never works out to our benefit.

I enjoy Bill Maher’s comedy and show, even though I largely disagree with his politics. I do wish he’d have conservatives on with content in the front of their underpants, but that’s a matter of style. He is a committed liberal, having donated $1 million of his own money to reelected Barack Obama in 2012. That he occasionally says something sane is more of a bug, not a feature.

more
https://townhall.com/columnists/derekhunter/2024/04/18/conservatives-should-stop-embracing-liberals-just-because-they-say-something-we-like-n2637929
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online LMAO

The worst of this phenomenon is when it comes to Tulsi Gabbard

Her voting record is that of a very far left Democrat. But she got to speak at CPAC and she’s even on Trump’s list for possible VP
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline mountaineer

Well, duh - whether it's RFK, Jr., Gabbard or Maher. Use your brains, conservatives!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline The_Reader_David

I would remind you all of the sentiment expressed by Lord Acton, one of the leading 19th century thinkers in the British conservative tradition that stretches from Burke to Thatcher:

At all times sincere friends of freedom have been rare, and its triumphs have been due to minorities, that have prevailed by associating themselves with auxiliaries whose objects often differed from their own; and this association, which is always dangerous, has been sometimes disastrous, by giving to opponents just grounds of opposition, and by kindling dispute over the spoils in the hour of success.
             — John Dalberg-Acton, 1st Baron Acton

When folks who identify as "left" get things right, we should regard them as short-term allies, useful auxiliaries in advancing the cause of freedom, not bosom buddies, all the while hoping (though not expecting) that they will see the error of their left-leaning ideas and become conservatives.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
I would remind you all of the sentiment expressed by Lord Acton, one of the leading 19th century thinkers in the British conservative tradition that stretches from Burke to Thatcher:

At all times sincere friends of freedom have been rare, and its triumphs have been due to minorities, that have prevailed by associating themselves with auxiliaries whose objects often differed from their own; and this association, which is always dangerous, has been sometimes disastrous, by giving to opponents just grounds of opposition, and by kindling dispute over the spoils in the hour of success.
             — John Dalberg-Acton, 1st Baron Acton

When folks who identify as "left" get things right, we should regard them as short-term allies, useful auxiliaries in advancing the cause of freedom, not bosom buddies, all the while hoping (though not expecting) that they will see the error of their left-leaning ideas and become conservatives.

That's a great quote and comment.  I bolded the part I think is key in the present time because we have a lot of people who take a "you're either with us or against us" view.  And if you split from them on an issue or two, they try to destroy you.

But as Lord Acton said, the truth is that we need those people if we actually want to get stuff done   When we personalize politics and insist on 100% or nothing, we make it impossible to accomplish anything.

Online LMAO

There are a few issues I agree with Bill Maher and Tulsi Gabbard on

I wouldn't vote for them, though.
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
There are a few issues I agree with Bill Maher and Tulsi Gabbard on

I wouldn't vote for them, though.

Totally agree.   It doesn't mean you vote for people with whom you have a lot of disagreements.  It just means you are willing to work with people on specific issues where you happen to agree.   And that requires not permanently alienating them just because you disagree on other things.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

////00000////

I soooo love it when Republicans say one thing on FoxNews, O.A.N., and NewsMax, and say the exact opposite behind closed doors.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.