Author Topic: Wrong, ProPublica, Climate Change Is Not Causing Hurricanes, Wildfires, or Migration  (Read 110 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Wrong, ProPublica, Climate Change Is Not Causing Hurricanes, Wildfires, or Migration

By
Anthony Watts
April 17, 2024

An article by the website ProPublica titled The Flooding Will Come “No Matter What” linked to Hurricane Katrina, storm refugees, and climate change, claiming that the storm was evidence of the beginning of a “climate migration” in America. The connection is false. Data refutes a climate connection to any particular hurricane or trend in migration.

The article does a lot of rambling coverage of a family that was displaced by Hurricane Katrina back in 2005, saying:

Another great American migration is now underway, this time forced by the warming that is altering how and where people can live. For now, it’s just a trickle. But in the corners of the country’s most vulnerable landscapes — on the shores of its sinking bayous and on the eroding bluffs of its coastal defenses — populations are already in disarray.

The article goes on to follow the trials and tribulations of a single family who had their home destroyed during Hurricane Katrina. Pro Publica believes this case is evidence of climate change causing a “migration,” because the family have not moved back to the same location.

https://climaterealism.com/2024/04/wrong-propublica-climate-change-is-not-causing-hurricanes-wildfires-or-migration/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline MajorClay