Author Topic: Army Could Face Resistance from Congress as It Eyes Cuts to Education Benefits  (Read 174 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Army Could Face Resistance from Congress as It Eyes Cuts to Education Benefits

Military.com | By Steve Beynon
Published April 15, 2024 at 5:20pm ET

The Army's consideration of cuts to two of its premier education benefits is the result of at least one of those program's runaway success and ballooning cost, Army Secretary Christine Wormuth told lawmakers Wednesday.

Wormuth described the Army Credentialing Assistance Program as having "catastrophic success" due to its popularity when asked by Rep. John Carter, R-Texas, whose district includes the Fort Cavazos area, on whether cuts to key benefits could impact recruiting and retention.

But cutting education benefits, a key recruiting and retention tool for the military, could be an enormous hurdle for the service and a nightmare when it comes to optics, particularly in an election year.

"The military is having serious problems with recruiting. So, you're going to cut the benefits for those you want to recruit? It doesn't make any sense," Rep. John Garamendi, D-Calif., said on CNN Thursday.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2024/04/15/army-could-face-resistance-congress-it-eyes-cuts-education-benefits.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
My son did 4 years in the Navy and went to college on the GI bill.  He graduated with honors and then went back in the Navy as an officer.  My point being he wasn't mature enough at 18 to tackle the rigors of college but by 22 was thanks to the four years of military discipline.  This is not an unusual occurrence.  The Army will miss many such people by cutting education.   The Army must be resistant to good recruiting if they are serious about this.  I talked to a number of his officer friends, and many were in the Military initially to get the GI bill.  Take that away and they lose a bunch of recruits. *****rollingeyes*****
« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 04:51:02 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online DefiantMassRINO

I have a novel idea - How about a Congressional Grand Inquisition in to tuition inflation?
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.