Author Topic: The F-35 program is costing more and doing less, GAO says  (Read 102 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The F-35 program is costing more and doing less, GAO says
« on: April 16, 2024, 04:19:17 pm »

The F-35 program is costing more and doing less, GAO says
Total sustainment costs are now expected to top $1.5 trillion, even as the jet’s mission-readiness declines.
AUDREY DECKER | APRIL 15, 2024 04:53 PM ET
AIR FORCE NAVY MARINE CORPS

The estimated lifetime cost to operate and maintain the Pentagon’s F-35s just took a big jump, even though the U.S. military is flying the jet less.

The total cost of operating and maintaining the triservice jet is now expected to surpass $1.5 trillion, up 44% since a 2018 estimate, according to a new report from the Government Accountability Office. The increase largely reflects the military’s decision to push the aircraft’s retirement from 2077 to 2088, but also includes other factors that are driving costs up.

The Defense Department has tried to reduce costs on the program, but “DOD officials generally agree that these efforts are not likely to fundamentally change the estimated costs to operate the aircraft,” the report said.

GAO also notes that the Pentagon plans to fly the F-35 fighter jet less often than originally planned, due partly to “reliability issues,” GAO said, which have contributed to a five-year decline in readiness.

https://www.defenseone.com/business/2024/04/f-35-program-costing-more-and-doing-less-gao-says/395747/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online DefiantMassRINO

Re: The F-35 program is costing more and doing less, GAO says
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2024, 04:26:59 pm »
 ////00000////

A single plane, from a single contractor - what's the worst that could happen?

Boys in the Pentagon better accelerate the retirement and melting of "legacy" air superiority platforms to save the F-35 Program from a dirt nap.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.