Author Topic: Douglas County Commissioners formally file lawsuit against Colorado and its immigration laws  (Read 101 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Douglas County Commissioners formally file lawsuit against Colorado and its immigration laws

By Paolo Zialcita
·
Apr. 15, 2024, 1:10 pm

Officials from Douglas and El Paso Counties on Monday formally unveiled litigation against Gov. Jared Polis and the state over Colorado’s immigration laws.

The lawsuit, filed in Denver District Court Monday, takes aim at HB19-1124 and HB23-1100, two bills that became law and prohibit local and state law enforcement officers from arresting or detaining people based on their immigration status. They also prohibit law enforcement from revealing some specific information about arrestees to federal immigration officials. The plaintiffs allege the laws violate local rule provisions in the state Constitution.

“Federal policies along the southern border [have] resulted in an unlimited string of illegal immigrants into our communities, and we see it as the duty of the county to push back against these state laws that prohibit us from working with federal authorities to keep Douglas County and our communities safe,” said Douglas County Board of County Commissioners Chairman George Teal.

The lawsuit comes as Colorado, specifically the Denver metropolitan area, continues to deal with the arrival of new immigrants to the state, primarily through buses sent by the Texas government.

https://www.cpr.org/2024/04/15/douglas-county-commissioners-file-lawsuit-against-colorado-immigration-laws/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson