Author Topic: Antarctica Is Colder, Icier Today Than At Any Time In 5,000 Years  (Read 86 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Antarctica Is Colder, Icier Today Than At Any Time In 5,000 Years
by Kenneth Richard  8 hours ago

More evidence emerges that Antarctica has undergone rapid glacier and sea ice expansion in recent centuries, in line with the long-term and recent Antarctic cooling trend. [emphasis, links added]

West Antarctica’s mean annual surface temperatures cooled by more than -1.8°C (-0.93°C per decade) from 1999-2018 (Zhang et al., 2023).

Not just West Antarctica, but most of the continent also has cooled by more than 1°C in the 21st century. See, for example, the ~1°C per decade cooling trend for East Antarctica (2000 to 2018) shown in Fig. ES1 (right).

According to a new study, about 6,000 years ago Antarctica’s Collins Glacier’s frontline was a full 1 km southwest of its current extent. The frontline advanced to today’s extent ~5,000 years ago.

https://climatechangedispatch.com/antarctica-is-colder-icier-today-than-at-any-time-in-5000-years/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson