Author Topic: Nation­al Coali­tion of Attor­neys Gen­er­al Files Ami­cus Brief Con­demn­ing Texas State Bar for Ba  (Read 646 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/news/releases/national-coalition-attorneys-general-files-amicus-brief-condemning-texas-state-bar-baseless-lawfare-0

Nation­al Coali­tion of Attor­neys Gen­er­al Files Ami­cus Brief Con­demn­ing Texas State Bar for Base­less Law­fare Weaponized Against Texas OAG Leadership

A national coalition of state attorneys general filed an amicus brief with the Supreme Court of Texas in support of Attorney General Ken Paxton’s top deputy, First Assistant Attorney General Brent Webster, in a blatant case of politically motivated lawfare launched by the State Bar of Texas. The case originated in response to complaints against First Assistant Webster and Attorney General Paxton for their decision to file landmark litigation known as Texas v. Pennsylvania regarding the 2020 election. Attorney General Ken Paxton faces similar baseless allegations in a separate case.

The State Bar of Texas’s Commission for Lawyer Discipline attempted to censure Attorney General Paxton and First Assistant Attorney General Webster for taking action over genuine concerns of unconstitutional conduct by states during the 2020 election. In a move regarded as political retaliation, the Commission claimed that Texas made misrepresentations during the course of the lawsuit and initiated disciplinary action. The allegations were initially dismissed. The organization appealed and the case is now before the Supreme Court of Texas.

The brief explains: “The real question in this case… is whether courts will permit the politicization of the State Bars and weaponization of disciplinary rules against elected executive officers discharging their constitutional duties.… Moreover, there is an appreciable risk that this type of political activism will incentivize bar complaints made for the sole purpose of obstructing the ability of attorneys general and their staff to carry out their constitutional responsibilities. The weaponization of the attorney grievance process impedes the work of the people and frustrates the constitutional structure.”

“Thank you to my fellow attorneys general for siding with law and order,” said Attorney General Paxton. “The State Bar is using a disgraceful tactic: weaponizing politically-motivated lawfare to intimidate elected leaders and their staff from upholding the Constitution when it inconveniences their political agenda. This attempt to punish First Assistant Attorney General Webster and me for standing up for our country, our State, and our citizens will not succeed.”

To read the brief, click here.

Offline Hoodat

First Amendment still applies.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline DB

The Dem's will burn the constitution to the ground to get their way.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien