Author Topic: Irreconcilable Differences: Johnson on Brink of Permanent Power Sharing Agreement with Democrats as  (Read 397 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Irreconcilable Differences: Johnson on Brink of Permanent Power Sharing Agreement with Democrats as MTG, Massie Meeting Fails to Produce Accord with Republicans

Bradley Jaye 6 May 2024

Speaker Mike Johnson (R-LA) failed to concede to Reps. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA) and Thomas Massie (R-KY) after a two-hour meeting Monday in which the duo continued pressing for Johnson to resign and end his coalition government with Democrats.

Greene told reporters after the meeting that she and Massie “had a very long discussion with Speaker Johnson. We’ll be meeting with him again tomorrow based on the discussion and then I’ll have more information.”

The two conservative lawmakers have insisted that Johnson is compromised and will not be Speaker next Congress. They called for him to step down so Republicans can begin moving forward, arguing Johnson’s unofficial lame duck status will hurt Republicans as they fundraise and campaign for November’s elections.

“I have been patient, I have been diligent. I have been steady. And I’ve been focused on the facts,” Greene said. “And none of that has changed.”

The meeting came one day after House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries (D-NY) bragged on CBS about controlling the House floor agenda — a characterization many conservatives agree with.

“Even though we’re in the minority, we effectively have been governing as if we were in the majority because we continue to provide a majority of the votes necessary to get things done,” he said. “Those are just the facts.”

more
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2024/05/06/irreconcilable-differences-johnson-brink-permanent-power-sharing-agreement-democrats-mtg-massie-meeting-fails-produce-accord-republicans/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Johnson makes Boehner and Ryan look like intransigent, defiant, stalwart conservatives. It's beyond weakness, it's too pathetic and scared to even try.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I can't understand what happened with this guy.

When he was first proffered for the job, he seemed almost ideal -- good voting record, good background, etc.

And yet, once he was handed the Speaker's gavel, he began to slide downhill quickly.

Something happened.
Something... behind the scenes.
What was it?

Offline DB

He's got too many knives stuck in him.

He'd likely be happy to be voted out of the job.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I can't understand what happened with this guy.

When he was first proffered for the job, he seemed almost ideal -- good voting record, good background, etc.

And yet, once he was handed the Speaker's gavel, he began to slide downhill quickly.

Something happened.
Something... behind the scenes.
What was it?
Beltway Fever
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

There's your 'Fight with the army you have', right there.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
He's learned that he doesn't lead a united caucus, so he has to play with the hand he is dealt.  It's the difference between advocacy, and having enough votes to actually win.