General Category > Science, Technology and Knowledge

Living In A Base Reality — Are We In A Simulation?

<< < (2/2)

roamer_1:

--- Quote from: DCPatriot on April 12, 2024, 10:13:20 pm ---@roamer_1

That example is mentioned, I think.

Says that if we were born in a space ship we would have no inkling of a blue sky, green grass or oceans of water, etc.. 

Is that where you were going??

--- End quote ---

Well, that goes back to the blind guys trying to describe an elephant theory.

Maybe more like this... This is kinda a thought bomb, and in a nutshell... so don't expect me to elaborate much as it would take a weekend on the porch and a few gallons of sweet tea:

Each graduation of dimension doubles. A point turning to a line, a line turning into a cube... Until we get to time, which is only linear, at least in our definition... So time breaks the pattern of expansion.

Because of that, I think it (time) is busted... Purposefully, for our protection, but I digress...

But if one dimension is not complete, I think it blocks our ability to see past it - The stick-line-guy on the paper can't see a three dimensional thing... That kind of thing.

That does not mean those dimensions beyond are not there, nor that they are ephemeral and wispy... But more 'real' as they progress, even as a point graduating to a line, graduating to a cube becomes more 'full' as it goes

I think when we get to 'see' it altogether, I think it is far, far more than we can begin to grok.

DCPatriot:

--- Quote from: roamer_1 on April 12, 2024, 11:59:17 pm ---Well, that goes back to the blind guys trying to describe an elephant theory.

Maybe more like this... This is kinda a thought bomb, and in a nutshell... so don't expect me to elaborate much as it would take a weekend on the porch and a few gallons of sweet tea:

Each graduation of dimension doubles. A point turning to a line, a line turning into a cube... Until we get to time, which is only linear, at least in our definition... So time breaks the pattern of expansion.

Because of that, I think it (time) is busted... Purposefully, for our protection, but I digress...

But if one dimension is not complete, I think it blocks our ability to see past it - The stick-line-guy on the paper can't see a three dimensional thing... That kind of thing.

That does not mean those dimensions beyond are not there, nor that they are ephemeral and wispy... But more 'real' as they progress, even as a point graduating to a line, graduating to a cube becomes more 'full' as it goes

I think when we get to 'see' it altogether, I think it is far, far more than we can begin to grok.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the attempt there... too deep for me!

Smokin Joe:

--- Quote from: roamer_1 on April 12, 2024, 09:58:49 pm ---OK, I'll bite...

I think science has diminished our understanding - The idea that everything must be observable and repeat-able has defined 'reality' for us, discounting anything that doesn't fit in that very small and very defined box.

Don't get me wrong - It's good for what its worth... I just don't think it gives us the whole picture.

I think the ephemeral is actually more real than here.
I think that as the Bible says, 'we see through a glass, darkly'.
And because of that, our perception, and therefore 'science', is a broken tool to begin with.

The hard part is trying to see outside of the fishbowl. When you are submersed in a reality, it is very hard to conceive something different.

--- End quote ---
There are two things about science most people find hard.
The first is to ask the right questions.
The second is to accept the answers, and to not let normalcy bias or any preconceptions color observations to the point that evidence, no matter how improbable, exists and must be accounted for in any explanation.

The hardest part is the most common correct answer: "We don't know."

That doesn't stop us from trying to understand, but every correct answer brings more questions, which outnumber the answers and will continue to do so. That's what makes it fun, to be honest, but too many can't accept that correct answer, and that leads to problems.

Through a glass darkly, indeed.

DCPatriot:

--- Quote from: Smokin Joe on April 13, 2024, 06:10:24 am ---There are two things about science most people find hard.
The first is to ask the right questions.
The second is to accept the answers, and to not let normalcy bias or any preconceptions color observations to the point that evidence, no matter how improbable, exists and must be accounted for in any explanation.

The hardest part is the most common correct answer: "We don't know."

That doesn't stop us from trying to understand, but every correct answer brings more questions, which outnumber the answers and will continue to do so. That's what makes it fun, to be honest, but too many can't accept that correct answer, and that leads to problems.

Through a glass darkly, indeed.

--- End quote ---

Totally agree, @Smokin Joe

The 3 hardest words in any language:  "I Don't Know"

Smokin Joe:

--- Quote from: DCPatriot on April 13, 2024, 06:16:13 am ---Totally agree, @Smokin Joe

The 3 hardest words in any language:  "I Don't Know"

--- End quote ---
Yet so often, THE correct answer.

The more I learn, the less I know.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version