Author Topic: RELEASE: TRANSPARENCY-IN-GOVERNMENT GROUP FILES AMICUS BRIEF EXPOSING EPA FLOUTING DOCTRINE AGAINST  (Read 143 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
RELEASE: TRANSPARENCY-IN-GOVERNMENT GROUP FILES AMICUS BRIEF EXPOSING EPA FLOUTING DOCTRINE AGAINST PRETEXTUAL RULEMAKING
April 5, 2024

Biden Admin, Climate Regs
“Whole of government,” backdoor “climate” agenda placed before D.C. Circuit

“To believe the Administrator’s own words, or not to believe—that is the question.”

April 5, 2024: This morning, Government Accountability & Oversight (GAO) filed an Amicus Brief in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit in Commonwealth of Kentucky, et al., v. EPA. The brief sets forth how EPA’s recent tightening of the primary standard for particulate matter is an improper pretextual (i.e., backdoor) rule to force “expedited retirements” of politically disfavored facilities in the name of “deciding how Americans will get their energy.” The U.S. Supreme Court ruled in 2022 in West Virginia v. EPA that deciding where Americans get their energy was outside the authority Congress assigned the agency.

As GAO’s brief notes, “So long as one takes Respondent Regan at his word, the Rule is a pretextual attempt to achieve through the back door what the Agency has so far not managed to do through the front door, but without proposing a CO2 or [greenhouse gas] NAAQS in recognition of the substantial legal and political obstacles to doing so, including Supreme Court precedent…. To believe the Administrator’s own words, or not to believe—that is the question.”

FOIA’d emails, often heavily redacted yet highly instructive, support Regan’s March 2022 boast that the Agency planned to tighten every screw at its disposal to force greenhouse gas (GHG) reductions. Such inventive use of regulatory authority is the highly touted specialty of Assistant Administrator for Air Joe “the Law Whisperer” Goffman, hailed for “teaching old laws new tricks”. West Virginia barred the practice as a viable means of imposing such grand projects.

The Administrator euphemized his plan as a “suite of rules”, using “all the tools in the toolbox.”

https://govoversight.org/release-transparency-in-government-group-files-amicus-brief-exposing-epa-flouting-doctrine-against-pretextual-rulemaking/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson