Author Topic: Arizona Supreme Court upholds Civil War-era abortion ban  (Read 1855 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Arizona Supreme Court upholds Civil War-era abortion ban
« on: April 09, 2024, 06:14:09 pm »
Arizona Supreme Court upholds Civil War-era abortion ban
By
Gabrielle M. Etzel
April 9, 2024 1:33 pm

The Arizona Supreme Court on Tuesday upheld a Civil War-era law that nearly bans all abortions in the state.

The decision could play a major factor in the 2024 election as voters will likely weigh whether abortion rights should be added to the state’s constitution.

Upholding the 160-year-old law, passed before Arizona’s statehood, means that it will be “prospectively enforced” by April 23. The law bans abortions with exceptions in cases in which the mother faces immediate life-threatening conditions, and it mandates a prison sentence of between two and five years for a healthcare provider that performs the procedure unlawfully.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/healthcare/2959358/arizona-supreme-court-upholds-civil-war-era-abortion-ban/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Arizona Supreme Court upholds Civil War-era abortion ban
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2024, 06:14:57 pm »
 :hands: :hands: :hands: :hands:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online libertybele

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2024, 09:38:57 pm »
 :bkmk:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2024, 10:21:01 pm »
Sen. Kelly: ‘Disaster’ Arizona Abortion Ban Because of Trump – He Could Go After Contraception Next

Senator Mark Kelly (D-AZ) said Tuesday on CNN’s “The Lead ” that it is fomer President Donald Trump’s fault the Arizona’s Supreme Court upheld a 123-year-old penal code provision that bans nearly all abortions except to save the life of the mother.

more
https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2024/04/09/sen-kelly-disaster-arizona-abortion-ban-because-of-trump-he-could-go-after-contraception-next/
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online rustynail

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2024, 10:46:53 pm »
It was a trap.

Online DB

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2024, 11:41:13 pm »
Sen. Kelly: ‘Disaster’ Arizona Abortion Ban Because of Trump – He Could Go After Contraception Next

Senator Mark Kelly (D-AZ) said Tuesday on CNN’s “The Lead ” that it is fomer President Donald Trump’s fault the Arizona’s Supreme Court upheld a 123-year-old penal code provision that bans nearly all abortions except to save the life of the mother.

more
https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2024/04/09/sen-kelly-disaster-arizona-abortion-ban-because-of-trump-he-could-go-after-contraception-next/

Kelly is a moron.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2024, 11:53:46 pm »
Kelly is a moron.

Yeah he is. It's a legit ruling, and if any fixing is to be done, the pressure is on the state legislators, not Tumpy.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2024, 12:27:11 am »
This isn't going to stand.
Primarily, because Arizona is a blue state now (and I don't care what that "hiker" says).

Assuming that AZ has referendum/initiative (Cyber?), won't be long until this issue gets on the ballot.

And when it comes to a vote, stand back -- I suspect you'd see even a third of Republican women voters putting in ballots for liberalization.

My opinion only, but I call 'em as I see 'em.
And that's the future I see in Arizona.

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2024, 01:00:56 am »
This isn't going to stand.
Primarily, because Arizona is a blue state now (and I don't care what that "hiker" says).

Assuming that AZ has referendum/initiative (Cyber?), won't be long until this issue gets on the ballot.

And when it comes to a vote, stand back -- I suspect you'd see even a third of Republican women voters putting in ballots for liberalization.

My opinion only, but I call 'em as I see 'em.
And that's the future I see in Arizona.

You need some thick "Coke-bottle-bottom" glasses.

You don't see to well.......AT ALL.

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2024, 01:05:48 am »
That's really all this state needed.

Not that the AZ SC cares about elections...it should not.

But this will be a huge nail the coffin of Kari Lake is she jumps on this and runs with it.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2024, 02:16:05 am »
Maybe if Arizona Republicans started choosing Conservative candidates instead of candidates that suck up to Donald Trump, we could win us a Senate seat.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2024, 03:11:32 am »
Maybe if Arizona Republicans started choosing Conservative candidates instead of candidates that suck up to Donald Trump, we could win us a Senate seat.

Arizona conservatives are disjointed and a mess.

John McStain and his politics of personal destruction help to see that happen. 

Things are getting better.  But the loudmouths like Lake are going to be a pain in the ass for a long time to come.

The party barely holds a majority in the state house and senate and are scared to death of losing it. 

They can't beat someone like K A T I E  H O B B S.  No confidence at all.

And the state has more registered independents than Republicans or Democrats.  Most of them....former Republicans who are fed up with the B.S.

The party has a lot of work to do. 

But you have the MCRC (Maricop County Republican Committee) wholeheatedly endorsing Donald Trump.  That just went over like a lead baloon. 

A freaking lot of work to do. 

A conservative is someone who knows, understands, AND PRACTICES conservative principles. 

They are as rare, in this state, as snow tigers. 

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2024, 03:58:55 am »
Arizona conservatives are disjointed and a mess.

John McStain and his politics of personal destruction help to see that happen. 

Things are getting better.  But the loudmouths like Lake are going to be a pain in the ass for a long time to come.

The party barely holds a majority in the state house and senate and are scared to death of losing it. 

They can't beat someone like K A T I E  H O B B S.  No confidence at all.

And the state has more registered independents than Republicans or Democrats.  Most of them....former Republicans who are fed up with the B.S.

The party has a lot of work to do. 

But you have the MCRC (Maricop County Republican Committee) wholeheatedly endorsing Donald Trump.  That just went over like a lead baloon. 

A freaking lot of work to do. 

A conservative is someone who knows, understands, AND PRACTICES conservative principles. 

They are as rare, in this state, as snow tigers.
Finding a few (tens of thousands of) extra votes in Maricopa County mighta helped Hobbs, ya think?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2024, 04:06:13 am »
 ////00000////

The liberal Arizona Supreme Court ruling does not go far enough ... back in time ... to witch trials and burning witches at the stake.

Go Puritan, or go bust, Arizona!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 04:10:50 am by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2024, 04:30:54 am »
////00000////

The liberal Arizona Supreme Court ruling does not go far enough ... back in time ... to witch trials and burning witches at the stake.

Go Puritan, or go bust, Arizona!
About the time that was a thing' in Mass., The locals in what would be named Arizona valued all their new tribal members.

How primitive. (/s)

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2024, 01:49:30 pm »
Arizona Attorney General Says She Won’t Enforce State Supreme Court Ruling Banning Abortion

Arjun Singh
Contributor
April 09, 2024 4:46 PM ET
Font Size:

Democratic Attorney General Kristin Mayes of Arizona announced on Tuesday that she would not enforce a ruling from her state’s supreme court upholding an 1864 law that bans most abortions.

On Tuesday, the Arizona Supreme Court ruled that a law criminalizing abortions, except in cases where necessary to save the mother’s life, may be enforced following the U.S. Supreme Court’s ruling in Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization in 2022, which ruled that there is no constitutional right to an abortion. Mayes, one of the named parties in the case, subsequently issued a statement on X condemning the decision while claiming that her prosecutors would not enforce the law against doctors and women seeking abortions.

“[L]et me be completely clear, as long as I am Attorney General, no woman or doctor will be prosecuted under this draconian law in this state,” wrote Mayes. “Today’s decision to re-impose a law from a time when Arizona wasn’t a state, the Civil War was raging, and women couldn’t even vote will go down in history as a stain on our state.”

more
https://dailycaller.com/2024/04/09/arizona-attorney-general-wont-enforce-state-supreme-court-ruling-banning-abortion/
Support the USO

Online libertybele

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2024, 02:07:48 pm »
Arizona Attorney General Says She Won’t Enforce State Supreme Court Ruling Banning Abortion

Arjun Singh
Contributor
Font Size:

Democratic Attorney General Kristin Mayes of Arizona announced on Tuesday that she would not enforce a ruling from her state’s supreme court upholding an 1864 law that bans most abortions.

On Tuesday, the Arizona Supreme Court ruled that a law criminalizing abortions, except in cases where necessary to save the mother’s life, may be enforced following the U.S. Supreme Court’s ruling in Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization in 2022, which ruled that there is no constitutional right to an abortion. Mayes, one of the named parties in the case, subsequently issued a statement on X condemning the decision while claiming that her prosecutors would not enforce the law against doctors and women seeking abortions.

“[L]et me be completely clear, as long as I am Attorney General, no woman or doctor will be prosecuted under this draconian law in this state,” wrote Mayes. “Today’s decision to re-impose a law from a time when Arizona wasn’t a state, the Civil War was raging, and women couldn’t even vote will go down in history as a stain on our state.”

more
https://dailycaller.com/2024/04/09/arizona-attorney-general-wont-enforce-state-supreme-court-ruling-banning-abortion/

Yeppers, if the law doesn't fit your agenda, just ignore it!   9999hair out0000
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2024, 03:10:51 am »
Finding a few (tens of thousands of) extra votes in Maricopa County mighta helped Hobbs, ya think?

Having over 300K Republican ballots not returned (per Turning Point) might have helped her a whole lot more.

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2024, 03:13:11 am »

Arjun Singh
Contributor
Font Size:

more

Where is the effort to recall this slimy piece of owl poop ? 

She's been in too long, flaunted the law for too long and is a total moron.

Online DB

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2024, 03:19:08 am »
The state government should start impeachment proceedings immediately. She doesn't get to decide which laws she's going to enforce. She either follows the law or should be replaced someone who will. The democrats scream "democracy" while completely enforcing their own will on everyone ignoring the law. That is simply tyranny.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2024, 03:45:58 am »
As I have said before, and from observation during race riots in High School, when one group gets to ignore the rules, it isn't long before others decide they don't need to abide by the rules, either.

Either this crap gets reined in or chaos is coming.

C S Lewis

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2024, 12:24:46 pm »
It was a trap.
I didn't hear this, but Mr. M told me he heard it discussed on the Clay and Buck show. They said this ruling plays right into the Dems' hands to give them a key issue around which to rally their troops in a very important battleground state.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2024, 06:04:38 pm »
I didn't hear this, but Mr. M told me he heard it discussed on the Clay and Buck show. They said this ruling plays right into the Dems' hands to give them a key issue around which to rally their troops in a very important battleground state.

In my opinion.....

It's not the issue, but the way the right handles the issue that is the problem. 

All the screaming crazies come out and immediately made poster bois for the entire state GOP. 

It's marketing B.S. 101 and, in that regard, the right plays right into the hands of the left and media...consistently.

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2024, 06:07:24 pm »
About the time that was a thing' in Mass., The locals in what would be named Arizona valued all their new tribal members.

How primitive. (/s)

Apples and Oranges.

The woman in the drawing was accused of witchcraft (or that was the reference anyway).

Ancient Native Americans had rituals that included burning adults at the stake.

Human nature is consisten.