Author Topic: BREAKING NEWS Crumbley sentencing: Parents of Michigan school shooter Jennifer and James get 15 year  (Read 1541 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
In both cases the fault is upon the doer. You won't like where it goes otherwise.
I have never been a fan of 'blame the bartender'.
An horrible idea.

IMO, this conviction will never hold up on appeal.  Even "Opie Dilldox" could win on appeal in front of SCOTUS.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
As soon as the teacher saw that the cops should have been called.
Also why wasn't the kids backpack/locker searched? I would say that odds were pretty good they would have found the gun and then it wouldn't have mattered how busy the parents were and no one would have died that day. Lots of blame to go all around.

Offline roamer_1

Also why wasn't the kids backpack/locker searched? I would say that odds were pretty good they would have found the gun and then it wouldn't have mattered how busy the parents were and no one would have died that day. Lots of blame to go all around.

Nah... Even in a prison environment, it's damn hard to police contraband.
The school is liable for not providing a viable defense, but it is impossible to bet any money on prevention.

Offline roamer_1

IMO, this conviction will never hold up on appeal.  Even "Opie Dilldox" could win on appeal in front of SCOTUS.

I would hope that is true.

Online libertybele

Nah... Even in a prison environment, it's damn hard to police contraband.
The school is liable for not providing a viable defense, but it is impossible to bet any money on prevention.

??? Even when I was back in high school, we had surprise locker checks once a month.  So, I too am questioning why his locker wasn't searched? The locker is the property of the school -- it is not the property of the student.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline roamer_1

??? Even when I was back in high school, we had surprise locker checks once a month.  So, I too am questioning why his locker wasn't searched? The locker is the property of the school -- it is not the property of the student.

I was drunk off my ass through much of my junior and senior year. Many of my friends smoked dope like fiends... none of us ever got caught with contraband. Search my locker all you want.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
They can, nowadays.

Really??? Where? Certainly not in Texas.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

For sure the perp would not have still been in school that day!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline roamer_1

Really??? Where? Certainly not in Texas.

Consent is 15 in most places... Not for statutory, but one minor on another, 15...

Online banddag

In our local schools the kids keep their backpacks with them the entire school day.   They could not function without their phones, gameboys, snacks, makeup etc.  BTW I remember those locker searches back in the 70's.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Consent is 15 in most places... Not for statutory, but one minor on another, 15...

Wrong
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
@roamer_1  Thought you might like to read this..

ANDY MCCARTHY: It's completely unprecedented ...your heart breaks for the parents of the children who were killed here. But you have to remember that the person who actually did the shooting got treated as an adult and was sentenced to life in prison. So it's not like the system didn't carry out law enforcement against the person who actually did this. It's unprecedented to hold the parents accountable to something that they obviously didn't plan, agree to participate in. I frankly just don't think that this is what the criminal justice system is for. I think the criminal justice system mainly should be reserved for intentional wrongs. And I think it's more troubling here because Michigan actually attempted to or proposed passing child access prevention laws, which would prevent – which would make it a crime for parents to negligently allow their children to have access to firearms. And the legislature wouldn't pass that. So what happened here is the prosecutor made up a crime on the fly that the legislature had not opted to pass.

It's a Pandora's box. You're extending the criminal law to people who didn't actually commit the crimes.

Having been a prosecutor for a long time, this is what you have a civil justice system for. I mean, these parents ought to be sued civilly. And it's the reason that you get the kind of judgments that you sometimes see in these tragic cases. But the criminal justice system is not intended to deal with tragedy. What it's intended to deal with is intentional wrongs. And I think if you take the step where you're now going to extend it beyond intentional wrongs, then all bets are off, and you don't know where it goes.

more
https://www.foxnews.com/media/unprecedented-ruling-against-crumbleys-opens-up-pandoras-box-criminal-justice-system-andy-mccarthy
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

more
https://www.foxnews.com/media/unprecedented-ruling-against-crumbleys-opens-up-pandoras-box-criminal-justice-system-andy-mccarthy

Andy is right! The parents should not have been prosecuted for what they were but they damned sure could have, and should have been prosecuted for gross neglect of their child.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 11:33:15 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline roamer_1

more

That's right @mystery-ak ... Except suing them civilly should be pretty hard to do too, considering they are removed from the crime. Like suing gun makers for what someone dd with their product, laying the responsibility away from the one that did the deed. Soon enough the whole purpose will be about how much money can be had instead of actual justice.  It's plastic-banana feel-good crap. It's a mistake.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Exactly...but they didn't... :crying:
How many school officials lost their jobs or were put up on charges?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Andy is right! The parents should not have been prosecuted for what they were but they damned sure could have, and should have been prosecuted for gross neglect of their child.
But not manslaughter.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline unite for individuality

• I think, therefore I am... a misfit!
ANDY MCCARTHY: It's completely unprecedented ...your heart breaks for the parents of the children who were killed here. But you have to remember that the person who actually did the shooting got treated as an adult and was sentenced to life in prison. So it's not like the system didn't carry out law enforcement against the person who actually did this. It's unprecedented to hold the parents accountable to something that they obviously didn't plan, agree to participate in. I frankly just don't think that this is what the criminal justice system is for. I think the criminal justice system mainly should be reserved for intentional wrongs. And I think it's more troubling here because Michigan actually attempted to or proposed passing child access prevention laws, which would prevent – which would make it a crime for parents to negligently allow their children to have access to firearms. And the legislature wouldn't pass that. So what happened here is the prosecutor made up a crime on the fly that the legislature had not opted to pass.

It's a Pandora's box. You're extending the criminal law to people who didn't actually commit the crimes.

Having been a prosecutor for a long time, this is what you have a civil justice system for. I mean, these parents ought to be sued civilly. And it's the reason that you get the kind of judgments that you sometimes see in these tragic cases. But the criminal justice system is not intended to deal with tragedy. What it's intended to deal with is intentional wrongs. And I think if you take the step where you're now going to extend it beyond intentional wrongs, then all bets are off, and you don't know where it goes.

McCarthy's discussion completely ignores the long standing precedent of
"criminal negligence" laws being on the books and enforced.
This clearly is a case of criminal negligence.
It is illegal for a minor to possess a gun without adult supervision.
I think the sentence might be reduced upon appeal,
but it should not be overturned.
The parents' behavior in this case goes beyond negligence.
It is reckless.
And to continue ignoring the school's negligence in this case
is also criminal.
If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion,
mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
   -- John Stuart Mill

Here are the 10 RINOs who voted to impeach Trump on Jan. 13, 2021 - NEVER forget!
WY  Liz Cheney      SC 7  Tom Rice             WA 4  Dan Newhouse    IL 16  Adam Kinzinger    OH 16  Anthony Gonzalez
MI 6  Fred Upton    WA 3  Jaime Herrera Beutler    MI 3  Peter Meijer       NY 24  John Katko       CA 21  David Valadao