Author Topic: Virginia education board restores Confederate names to schools  (Read 970 times)

Offline Hoodat

Virginia education board restores Confederate names to schools

Breccan F. Thies  |  May 10, 2024  |  2:16 pm

A school district in Virginia voted Friday morning to restore the names of Confederate generals to schools, becoming the first board in the country to reinstate such names after voting to remove them.

The Shenandoah County school board, representing a rural and overwhelmingly conservative area, voted 5-1 to restore the Confederate namesakes of two schools after having stripped the names in 2020 in the wake of the death of George Floyd.

The move would honor three Confederate military leaders: Army of Northern Virginia General Robert E. Lee, infantry General Thomas Jonathan “Stonewall” Jackson, and cavalry commander Turner Ashby. Mountain View High School will now be named Stonewall Jackson High School, and Honey Run Elementary School will now be called Ashby-Lee Elementary School.

Funds to make the changes will come from private sources as opposed to tax dollars.

Shenandoah County has become the first in the country to reverse the nationwide trend of removing Confederate names of schools.  .  .  .

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/education/2999685/virginia-education-board-restores-confederate-names-to-schools/
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online mountaineer

Re: Virginia education board restores Confederate names to schools
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2024, 08:07:36 pm »
 :beer:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline the OlLine Rebel

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2024, 08:11:22 pm »
Saw this on YouTube this morning.  Made comment.  Lots of comments of course about how horrid it is to have anything named after traitors.

Without a hint of irony that invariably these are traitors the,selves, here and now.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2024, 08:30:38 pm »
This makes me happy. 

Lets put the statues back too.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2024, 09:03:55 pm »
I doubt the statues are coming back. 

All the furor subsequent to the George Floyd was a total disgrace in my view.  That maggot killed himself with an overdose.  The optics of the cop's knee on his neck was unfortunate, but the blame directed at those cops for his death was pure nonsense.  Statues going up for Floyd from my view is further proof of the resolute decline of our society, our country.  That maggot should have been forgotten.  Awarding his family $17+ million is a further disgrace. 

Nothing happening in this country makes sense.  NOTHING!!!!!!!!!

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2024, 09:38:34 pm »
This makes me happy. 

:amen:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2024, 10:08:29 pm »
This makes me happy. 

Slowly, but surely, I think things are turning around. 

:beer:
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.