General Category > Shooting Sports

Revolvers for women aren't such a great idea

<< < (4/5) > >>

Smokin Joe:

--- Quote from: sneakypete on April 21, 2024, 05:12:23 pm ---IMPORTANT SAFETY  NOTICE ABOUT REVOLVERS!

Do NOT cock the hammer on a revolver if the "thumb piece"  has been cut off for concealed carry!

If you do this,the only SAFE way to "uncock the hammer" is to shoot the revolver,or to do something like use a pair  of "Vice Grip" pliers on the hammer to make sure the firing pin does not contact the primer when you pull the trigger by clamping them as close to the part of the hammer that strikes the firing pin as possible. If you are forced to do this for some reason,you can then point the gun at the ground and remove the Vice Grip pliers.

No,I do NOT know of anyone who has used their thumb/other hand to manually cock a revolver that has the thumb piece  cut off after partially pulling the trigger,but  you can be sure that someone has done it,somewhere.

Trying to do this by using your other hand and  fingers to hold the hammer back is NOT safe and you should NOT try to do it that way.

If "push comes to shove",point the revolver at the ground and pull the trigger to fire it.

This is just a safety warning for those who don't understand how these things work.

BTW,for those who  are concerned about this,Smith and Wesson makes an 8 shot lightweight "hammerless" 22 caliber revolver. It  is  the  Model 43C,and the only one  with  an  aluminum frame,which means it would be very useful for concealed carry.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/j-frame-103043

It is also made in .357 Magnum caliber (Don't even THINK about buying it),and in .38 Special,which may be a practical option for some of you.

For those of  you who want small and light,they also have the model SKU: 103351 22 Magnum with a MSRP: $769.00

You may well find similar models from other manufacturers if you search  the web,but this will give you some idea of what is available and the prices being asked. Do NOT forget that the manufacturers suggested retail price is NOT always the sale price. Haggle.

BTW,WTH is this "state compliance" crap? Is the  US Constitution NOT  in effect in some states?

--- End quote ---
S&W model 642 (hammerless, airweight) in .38 +P

No hammer to snag, reasonable trigger, good, small, close range revolver. My wife had one.

mountaineer:

--- Quote from: Smokin Joe on April 21, 2024, 09:48:19 pm ---S&W model 642 (hammerless, airweight) in .38 +P
No hammer to snag, reasonable trigger, good, small, close range revolver. My wife had one.
--- End quote ---
That looks like my sister's gun. Now, if I could just get her out to the range more often!

Smokin Joe:

--- Quote from: mountaineer on April 21, 2024, 09:51:48 pm ---That looks like my sister's gun. Now, if I could just get her out to the range more often!

--- End quote ---
DO! Pistol shooting is a perishable skill, for some reason. (unlike rifle).

sneakypete:

--- Quote from: Smokin Joe on April 21, 2024, 09:48:19 pm ---S&W model 642 (hammerless, airweight) in .38 +P

--- End quote ---

@Smokin Joe

It would be my pick if I were looking for a snubby,but I already have one in 22 caliber.

IF I lived in a city,I would probably spring for the 38 Special version as an "everyday carry piece",but I still think the 22 caliber version is a better choice for new female shooters due to it fitting into a purse or pocket,is much lighter,has a MUCH lighter recoil than the 38 caliber version,plus it is a LOT cheaper to shoot for the necessary target practice for a newby handgun shooter.

Practice might not make you perfect,but it will definitely make you a LOT more competent when it comes to hitting what you are shooting at.

Smokin Joe:

--- Quote from: sneakypete on April 21, 2024, 11:08:26 pm ---@Smokin Joe

It would be my pick if I were looking for a snubby,but I already have one in 22 caliber.

IF I lived in a city,I would probably spring for the 38 Special version as an "everyday carry piece",but I still think the 22 caliber version is a better choice for new female shooters due to it fitting into a purse or pocket,is much lighter,has a MUCH lighter recoil than the 38 caliber version,plus it is a LOT cheaper to shoot for the necessary target practice for a newby handgun shooter.

Practice might not make you perfect,but it will definitely make you a LOT more competent when it comes to hitting what you are shooting at.

--- End quote ---
My wife liked it. Frankly it is light compared to a steel frame, and without a hammer to snag, a perfect parka pocket gun. If need be, shoot through the pocket, because you can always get a new coat. I told her to just point it if the need arose and shoot right through whatever, without even drawing it if she didn't have to if the assailant was close. Not too much will foul it. She never had to use it, but it was there.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version