General Category > Shooting Sports

Revolvers for women aren't such a great idea

(1/5) > >>

mountaineer:
April 6, 2024
Revolvers for women aren't such a great idea
By Mike McDaniel
--- Quote ---All too often I see well-intentioned men decide the women in their lives are too weak to cycle the slides of contemporary semiautomatic handguns. Their solution is inevitably to guide them into revolvers, and almost always, small, concealable revolvers.

With the exception of people who have abnormally little strength, or are afflicted with a neural or muscular deficit, virtually anyone, including women and girls, has sufficient strength to cycle the slide of just about any semiauto on the market, including the most popular concealed carry handguns like a Sig P365, Glock 43 or 43X, and even larger handguns. ... What’s required is not so much strength, but proper technique. ...

In decades of teaching women to shoot, I’ve yet to meet one who, using correct technique, could not cycle any semiauto handgun slide. To be sure, some had to work harder than others, but no one was unable. ...

While small, double action only revolvers are easier to conceal, their limited ammunition capacity, strong recoil and muzzle blast, light weight, long, heavy trigger pulls and minimal sights make them difficult for anyone, and particularly women, to use effectively.  In a very real sense, they’re expert’s guns, limited in range. ...
--- End quote ---
More at the American Thinker

Elderberry:

--- Quote ---"In decades of teaching women to shoot, I’ve yet to meet one who, using correct technique, could not cycle any semiauto handgun slide. To be sure, some had to work harder than others, but no one was unable. ..."
--- End quote ---

As long as the Astra 400 is not included.

libertybele:
I beg to differ.  I took a concealed carry course for personal protection taught by a retired police officer over 3 weeks that met once a week for 3 weeks, 3 hours a session.  At the end of the course we had to prove proficiency and had to hit targets in various different scenarios. I had a Rossi revolver at the time.  There were 10 in my class, 2 other women and 7 men. 

I was the only one that scored a perfect 10/10!!  Even the instructor was amazed, that revolver was darned accurate.

Unfortunately, the gun would jam every now and then and so I figured it may not be reliable when most needed so I traded it in.

I would much rather carry an accurate reliable revolver than a semi-auto, especially as I age.  Granted you can't load as many in the chamber -- but one good shot to take 'em down is all you need.

roamer_1:
I've bought every one of my daughters a pig-sticker switchblade.
And a .38 snub... With the instruction to stick it on the perpetrator and keep pulling the trigger, then switch to the blade.

Women will likely not have distance to worry about when danger strikes them.
It will be up close and personal. So the functional use, more than target acquisition, more than caliber, is GoBang in close quarters.

GoBang guarantee with revolver. No worry about a shell stack because of a blocked exit in a close tussle.
And no one I know with six .38s in him is gonna want to play anymore. And if he does, a little carving, just for fun.

Can she jack a .45 round? Maybe.
Is she gonna bring a fat ol forty with her when she has a tiny purse and evening attire? Where the heck is she gonna put it?

That snubby is a good compromise.
And she might just figure out a place to put it.

LMAO:

--- Quote from: libertybele on April 20, 2024, 09:47:39 pm ---

I was the only one that scored a perfect 10/10!! 

--- End quote ---

👍

Excellent

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version