Author Topic: A Stolen Tesla Reportedly Ran Out of Battery During a Car Chase  (Read 363 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
A Stolen Tesla Reportedly Ran Out of Battery During a Car Chase
Stealing an EV comes with some unique risks.

BY FRED SMITHPUBLISHED: MAR 29, 2024 12:12 PM EST
bookmarksSAVE ARTICLE
2023 telsa model s plaid
LISA LINKE

Generally speaking, it is not a good idea to lead police on a chase through Los Angeles in a stolen car. This is doubly true in a modern EV, which is very likely to have extensive tracking measures and other protection against thefts. A stolen EV also comes with another risk: It might be low on battery, and that could end with you grinding to a halt in someone else's Tesla Model S with the LAPD following close behind.

That, local station FOX 11 reports, is what happened to a driver in Los Angeles late Thursday night. The car, which belongs to FOX 11 reporter Susan Hisaruna, was apparently stolen while Hisaruna attended a concert in West Hollywood. By the time she discovered that the car was taken, Los Angeles Police had already tried to stop the car for reckless driving. She learned from the Tesla app that her car had just 15 miles of range left, which pursuing officers decided was a low enough number to just ride out by continuing a chase until the car came to a stop. The suspect was later arrested, while the car was held longer as part of an apparent investigation into an assault involving an axe and non-life threatening injuries.

Let this be a lesson: If you absolutely have to steal a car and lead police on a chase through Los Angeles, think about your getaway car options thoroughly. Fifteen miles of range is simply not enough to make your escape.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a60342971/stolen-tesla-ran-out-of-battery-during-a-car-chase/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: A Stolen Tesla Reportedly Ran Out of Battery During a Car Chase
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2024, 11:52:55 am »
 :mauslaff: :laughingdog:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline the OlLine Rebel

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2024, 01:22:07 pm »
Well let’s be honest.  Thief could steal a ICE very low on gas.  If they’re being actively pursued, they also will likely run out.

The biggest difference here, I guess, is that ECs have “apps” that tell you remotely how badly off it is.  And so the police found out?
Common sense is an uncommon virtue.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2024, 01:24:48 pm »
Well let’s be honest.  Thief could steal a ICE very low on gas. 
True. One never knows how "fueled up" - whether with gas or electricity - the car he's stealing may be. All the same, glad to see some justice in this instance.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2024, 09:52:43 pm »
I'm surprised that the automakers haven't equipped all vehicles with some kind of "remote kill switch" that can be used by the owner to shut down a car if necessary (as in, "stolen").

Considering the rate at which auto thefts are increasing, this will probably become mandatory within 15-20 years, if not sooner.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2024, 10:01:14 pm »
Does running down the battery damage its ability to charge and retain a charge?

I know some rechargeable batteries warn that allowing it to drain completely can damage its performance and lifespan.
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright