Author Topic: Ford “Drastically” Cutting EV Lightning Workforce Hours  (Read 49539 times)

Offline Hoodat

Re: Ford “Drastically” Cutting EV Lightning Workforce Hours
« Reply #125 on: April 28, 2024, 08:48:37 pm »
Not if they're cutting trees down, they don't.

I'm starting to see electric chain saws carried in UTVs and on 4wheelers because they are light. But you ain't gonna get through a proper tree felled across the road with that... which is why there are still 40/50 cc saws with a 2ft bar in the back of every pickup that goes up in the bush. And an actual sawyer would laugh in your face.

We're still not clear on whether that was said by the current Stihl CEO or the one they just let go.  @banddag hasn't clarified that one yet.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online roamer_1

« Reply #126 on: April 28, 2024, 08:51:00 pm »
I am seriously looking at the 2025/2026 Toyota EV's.  600 mile range and  10 minute charging according to Toyota.

Not in mountain country. And certainly not below zero. My sis owns a hybrid Yoda, and it is quite literally running on the ICE engine all winter long.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #127 on: April 28, 2024, 08:59:48 pm »
I drove a Tesla and it gives a tremendous ride/torque/response, quietness. Once you drive one you will understand why they will take over ICE cars
SO yes I am looking at the new Toyota EV's when they come out later this year or early next.

Nah. You've never been in a quarter mile car or a drag rail, have you? And this coming from a guy who actually worked on an electric mini-drag rail, back in the day.

And I am perfectly happy to admit the superior torque that comes from an electric motor. That ain't the only consideration.

And I hope you have the money... because that EV will be worth nothing in a few years when the battery goes out of it.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #128 on: April 28, 2024, 09:04:37 pm »
The amount of cobalt used in EV's is minuscule to the amount used in all the electronic goods and industry out there.

Still, the amount of cobalt available is not enough to turn merely England all-electric.  *Just England*

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #129 on: April 28, 2024, 09:07:01 pm »
Nah. You've never been in a quarter mile car or a drag rail, have you? And this coming from a guy who actually worked on an electric mini-drag rail, back in the day.

And I am perfectly happy to admit the superior torque that comes from an electric motor. That ain't the only consideration.

And I hope you have the money... because that EV will be worth nothing in a few years when the battery goes out of it.

LOL!  You mean like a big-screen projection TV?  Or a Commodore 64 computer?  Or an IBM 087 sorter?  Or a rotary wall telephone with a hand-crank?

How about a steam locomotive?  I'm sure Conestoga Wagon factory workers used the same argument back in the day.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2024, 09:10:56 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online roamer_1

« Reply #130 on: April 28, 2024, 09:09:37 pm »
LOL!  You mean like a big-screen projection TV?  Or a Commodore 64 computer?  Or an IBM 087 sorter?  Or a rotary wall telephone with a hand-crank?

No, I mean Racing. Even hopping lights and Outlaw 1/4 mile. The REAL THING, even on the street.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #131 on: April 28, 2024, 09:13:06 pm »
No, I mean Racing. Even hopping lights and Outlaw 1/4 mile. The REAL THING, even on the street.

Didn't we just read that Musk has a concept vehicle that can go 0-60 in 1 second?   :shrug:

I'm not an advocate of today's EVs...unless you live in a tropical climate and use it expressly as an errand vehicle around town.   happy77
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #132 on: April 28, 2024, 09:13:46 pm »
I seriously want a blue state to mandate 100% EV.  The world hasn't had that much of a visual contrast between right and wrong since the fall of the Berlin Wall.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline DB

« Reply #133 on: April 28, 2024, 09:34:58 pm »
Didn't we just read that Musk has a concept vehicle that can go 0-60 in 1 second?   :shrug:

I'm not an advocate of today's EVs...unless you live in a tropical climate and use it expressly as an errand vehicle around town.   happy77

That's about 2.735 Gs... So if you weigh 200 lbs, you'd be pressed back into the seat with a force of about 550 lbs...

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #134 on: April 28, 2024, 09:38:23 pm »
That's about 2.735 Gs... So if you weigh 200 lbs, you'd be pressed back into the seat with a force of about 550 lbs...

Yikes!

yeah...that's not gonna work unless you're using "Element 115".   :beer:

Online roamer_1

« Reply #135 on: April 28, 2024, 09:42:43 pm »

We read a lot of things.

Here's the bar: Outrun a police chopper and get away with it. That's what a hellcat can do, slammed to the wood.

I don't give a single sh*t about anything but merit. Them that can brag, let em.

When it's real -REALLY real - People will flock to it without subsidy, just like the construction industry and mechanical industry moved to batt tools. No bullshit. No hype. They're better day-to-day.

But even in that, .when the chips are all down and the batt driven tool won't do, Out comes old-school pneumatics or corded tools to kick their ass.

Offline DB

« Reply #136 on: April 28, 2024, 09:51:19 pm »
Toyota offers no such range for 2025'2026.  Perhaps you should go back and reread that 2023 article that happened to be the first one that popped up in your Google search.  Oh, and those cars will use lithium-ion batteries.  Maybe you should get your facts straight before posting.  Because your failure to do so makes you come across as a complete fool.

And the solid state battery isn't available. They say they'll have one by 2027...

And then there's this: https://carbuzz.com/catl-largest-battery-maker-calls-solid-state-batteries-unsafe/?utm_source=syndication

Offline DB

« Reply #137 on: April 28, 2024, 09:55:04 pm »
We read a lot of things.

Here's the bar: Outrun a police chopper and get away with it. That's what a hellcat can do, slammed to the wood.

I don't give a single sh*t about anything but merit. Them that can brag, let em.

When it's real -REALLY real - People will flock to it without subsidy, just like the construction industry and mechanical industry moved to batt tools. No bullshit. No hype. They're better day-to-day.

But even in that, .when the chips are all down and the batt driven tool won't do, Out comes old-school pneumatics or corded tools to kick their ass.

The Tesla Roadster already does 0-60 in 1.9 seconds. The next generation one is supposed to be 1.1 seconds. It probably can't do it many times before requiring a recharge...

« Last Edit: April 28, 2024, 09:56:12 pm by DB »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #138 on: April 28, 2024, 10:07:58 pm »
The Tesla Roadster already does 0-60 in 1.9 seconds. The next generation one is supposed to be 1.1 seconds. It probably can't do it many times before requiring a recharge...

Yeah... So it's good at hopping lights and impressing the girls.  :whistle:

Take it out to the North Fork Nationals for a run... Dead of night... sixty miles away from plugging into anything... With what might be a need to duck off into the woods for hours and hours of back road Dukes of Hazzard shit if the cops show up...

Take it out there...  :beer:

Online libertybele

« Reply #139 on: April 28, 2024, 10:51:27 pm »
For what it's worth I have a friend who's son and sister have Teslas.  They have had them for a little less than a year and both of them have had problems.  They are expensive and impress others who are impressed by cars.

I wouldn't drive one if it was given to me. Cost of insurance, batteries,  and lack of reliability -- just not interested, not to mention rainy season and dodging tropical storms and hurricanes.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online banddag

« Reply #140 on: April 28, 2024, 11:05:01 pm »
Toyota offers no such range for 2025'2026.  Perhaps you should go back and reread that 2023 article that happened to be the first one that popped up in your Google search.  Oh, and those cars will use lithium-ion batteries.  Maybe you should get your facts straight before posting.  Because your failure to do so makes you come across as a complete fool.

Oh sue me for Toyota changing their timeline from 2 or 3 years ago. Here is the  latest from Toyota . 2026  6 new ev's, lithium 500 mile range, 20 or 30 minute fast charging depending on the model
2027/28 Solid State 750 mile range, 10 minute charging.

The fact is ev's are getting better every year, longer range, prices coming down and most companies other than Tesla are going to solid state eventually.

https://www.autoweek.com/news/a45189317/toyota-solid-state-battery-timeline/

Online banddag

« Reply #141 on: April 28, 2024, 11:13:01 pm »
You do realize that "Africa" is a continent, not a country, right?  On second thought, maybe you don't.

Again, tired, it was late and I have getting it from multiple posters and on my phone.

The Republic of Congo knows they have a problem. In 2022 they started the first reforms to stop the practice of child mining but it is difficult to enforce. International co's such as Samsung are also under fire for buying the cobalt and they are putting pressure on the Congo to stop the practice.  China said they are putting pressure on Congo because the world is going after them.

The point is you use items every day made from cobalt from Congo but only bash the ev's.

Online banddag

« Reply #142 on: April 28, 2024, 11:26:28 pm »
because that EV will be worth nothing in a few years when the battery goes out of it.

Numerous companies such as Green Bean battery company are popping  up to rehab old batteries and resell them for a 1/4 of the cost of new.  The free market is taking care of the battery problems.
I believe this is how Interstate battery company was started-rehabbing used batteries but it's been a while.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #143 on: April 28, 2024, 11:28:18 pm »

I'm in a hurry but I don't why.
My EV goes from zero to 60 in 2.0
I hear a voice
That say's I'm running behind
Saving the planet is a race
I better pick up my pace
And there ain't no room
For someone in second place.

I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online banddag

« Reply #144 on: April 28, 2024, 11:31:18 pm »
  For example, the cobalt used in my iPhone is predominantly from recycled sources.  The same cannot be said for your EV.

Only half of Teslas now use cobalt. The EV industry is getting away from Lithium and cobalt and or only using minimum amounts through innovation.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #145 on: April 28, 2024, 11:34:30 pm »
Only half of Teslas now use cobalt. The EV industry is getting away from Lithium and cobalt and or only using minimum amounts through innovation.

Yo ticturd.  You know what is innovative?   Let the market sort it out.  Take your EV shill ass out of here.  No one is buying what you are selling. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #146 on: April 28, 2024, 11:50:52 pm »
Numerous companies such as Green Bean battery company are popping  up to rehab old batteries and resell them for a 1/4 of the cost of new.  The free market is taking care of the battery problems.
I believe this is how Interstate battery company was started-rehabbing used batteries but it's been a while.

I am well aware. I have rebuilt two personally. Still even at that it was fifteen hundred bucks in parts and the expertise to try.

But then I DO buy/sell. It's my thing to buy busted sh*t and fix it to sell it for a profit.
And I can tell you right now that a EV that needs a battery will be worth nothing. Worse than a minivan that needs a transmission.

Online banddag

« Reply #147 on: April 28, 2024, 11:52:00 pm »
ICEs didn't require any subsidies to effectively make horse-and-buggy obsolete within years, despite the fact that prior to the introduction of the Ford Model T there were few paved roads and few gas stations.

We live in a global economy and US companies will move in a heartbeat to another country with cheaper labor.   China and S. Korea and now Vietnam heavily subsidizes their EV industry. Way more than what we do. If we do not subsidize our home grown EV industry these countries  will become the leaders and we will have to buy the technology and products from them.

Same argument from  the isolationist today. "Our Founding  fathers said to keep out of foreign entanglements"  Well George and crew did not have to deal with intercontinental ballistic missiles, cyber attacks from  3500 miles  away from rogue nations.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #148 on: April 29, 2024, 12:01:55 am »
We live in a global economy [...]
Same argument from  the isolationist today. "Our Founding  fathers said to keep out of foreign entanglements"  Well George and crew did not have to deal with intercontinental ballistic missiles, cyber attacks from  3500 miles  away from rogue nations.

That is somehow a call to submit to globalism? Not by a long, long shot.
Foreign entanglements indeed. Ol George was a prophet.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien