Author Topic: EVs: The Reckoning Begins  (Read 257 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
EVs: The Reckoning Begins
« on: May 09, 2024, 11:14:33 am »
EVs: The Reckoning Begins
10 hours ago Guest Blogger 46 Comments

Roger Caiazza

Irina Slav on energy Substack is described as “All things energy. Challenging the dominant narrative because facts matter”.   Her latest article “Post Ridiculous” describes the possible last straw for EV adoption.

Slav introduces her post with an extraordinary quote admitting that all is not right for EVs:

“We can’t push EVs into the market against demand.” Thus spoke the head of Ford’s European operations this week, commenting on the company’s plans to start diverting ICE car deliveries from the UK to the continent. Why? Because the UK has EV sales goals and if carmakers don’t align their business with these goals, they face substantial penalties.

“We are not going to sell EVs at huge losses just to buy compliance. The only alternative is to take our shipments of [engine] vehicles to the UK down and sell these vehicles somewhere else,” the brave man, by the name of Martin Sander, said, speaking at the FT’s Future of the Car conference in London.

https://www.ft.com/content/ff0f3966-0565-434b-81a7-9b2bb3c20e21

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2024/05/08/post-ridiculous-evs/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: EVs: The Reckoning Begins
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2024, 11:15:26 am »
If it will help destroy America, politicians will find a way to make it happen.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2024, 12:23:23 pm »
“We can’t push EVs into the market against demand.”

Bears repeating. If an EV were right for me, I'd buy one. It isn't. Case closed.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2024, 08:23:55 pm »
Mercedes-Benz Backs Away from Electric Vehicles amid Weak Sales
John Binder
8 May 2024
Breitbart
German luxury automaker Mercedes-Benz is backing away from its commitment to fully transition to Electric Vehicles (EVs) by 2030 amid weak sales, shifting back to gas-powered cars that remain in demand among car buyers.

According to Bloomberg UK, Mercedes-Benz CEO Ola Källenius told shareholders on Wednesday that the automaker’s “transformation” to EVs “might take longer than expected.”

Källenius had sought to make Mercedes-Benz fully electric by 2030. In July 2021, Mercedes-Benz announced its all-electric push, vowing to shift from an “electric-first” to “electric-only” agenda.  ...

Those plans have been slowed as orders for its all-electric sedans have been disappointing and brought margins down to nine percent in the first quarter. Instead, Mercedes-Benz will continue making gas-powered cars past the start of the next decade.

The luxury automaker is not the only one abandoning an electric-only agenda. In January, Ford Motor Company followed through on plans to scale back production of its all-electric F-150 Lightning pickup truck — cutting it in almost half — over a lack of demand among American consumers.

Meanwhile, late last year, nearly half of Buick dealers across the United States opted to take buyouts from General Motors to avoid having to sell EVs. Car dealers have asked President Joe Biden to halt its EV mandates, citing a lack of demand.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org