Author Topic: Democrats Ask Biden to Streamline Citizenship for Undocumented Immigrants  (Read 268 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Democrats Ask Biden to Streamline Citizenship for Undocumented Immigrants
Published Mar 29, 2024 at 10:25 AM EDT

By Suzanne Blake

Nearly 20 senators came together to call on President Joe Biden to approve a streamlined path to citizenship for the millions of undocumented immigrants living in the United States.

The group said undocumented immigrants with no criminal history and "deep ties" to the United States should be able to obtain parole or a lawful immigration status in a new letter.

Democratic senators listed on the letter were: Michael Bennet of Colorado, Dick Durbin and Tammy Duckworth of Illinois, Alex Padilla and Laphonza Butler of California, Catherine Cortez Masto and Jacky Rosen of Nevada, Ben Ray Luján of New Mexico, Bob Menendez and Cory Booker of New Jersey, Ben Cardin and Chris Van Hollen of Maryland, John Fetterman of Pennsylvania, Mazie Hirono of Hawaii, Ed Markey of Massachusetts, Jeff Merkley and Ron Wyden of Oregon, Raphael Warnock of Georgia and independent Bernie Sanders of Vermont.

"Streamlining pathways for undocumented immigrants with no criminal history and deep ties to the United States to obtain parole or a lawful immigration status would provide stability to their families, require them to pay taxes, and to check in with the U.S. government regularly," the senators said in the letter.

https://www.newsweek.com/democrat-senators-call-biden-streamlined-undocumented-immigrants-1884997?piano_t=1
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Odd isn't it, these democrats don't seem to know the president has no power under the Constitution to make such a move.  It says CONGRESS shall make uniform laws of immigration and this would clearly not be uniform and not done by congress.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Hoodat

I personally know engineers from India and the Philippines who have been working here for a decade at below market salaries, basically prisoners to their employers, waiting for green cards.  This is such an insult to those who followed the rules.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I personally know engineers from India and the Philippines who have been working here for a decade at below market salaries, basically prisoners to their employers, waiting for green cards.  This is such an insult to those who followed the rules.
Yeah, but they are documented.

There are many of us who would see the illegals rounded up and sent back where they came from.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Smokin' Joe writes:
"There are many of us who would see the illegals rounded up and sent back where they came from."

Even though there are tens of millions of them, we start by deporting them one-at-a-time. And just keep on doing it.

Could be hired out to private contractors and become a mini-industry in some places...