Author Topic: GOP putting vulnerable Senate Democrats on defense with Mayorkas impeachment  (Read 648 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 GOP putting vulnerable Senate Democrats on defense with Mayorkas impeachment
by Alexander Bolton - 03/29/24 6:27 AM ET

After weeks of waiting, House Republicans say they will send two articles of impeachment against Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas to the Senate next month in a move that GOP strategists say will put vulnerable Democrats such as Sens. Jon Tester (Mont.) and Sherrod Brown (Ohio) on the defensive.

Republicans acknowledge the impeachment charges against Mayorkas aren’t going anywhere in the Senate, but they say votes by vulnerable Democrats to dismiss them will incur political damage — raising the question of whether Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) may try to protect his colleagues by postponing a vote until after Election Day.

Speaker Mike Johnson (R-La.) wrote a letter to Schumer on Thursday informing him the House will send the impeachment articles to the Senate on April 10.

“I would say it’s the biggest threat to Sherrod Brown and Jon Tester, specifically. It’s a really, really bad issue for them,” a Senate Republican strategist said of the vulnerability Republicans think the two Democrats have on border security and immigration issues.

“They’re caught between their base and what the majority of their state wants,” the strategist said.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/4562678-gop-vulnerable-senate-democrats-defense-mayorkas-impeachment/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
House to send impeachment articles to Senate next month

Senators are then expected to be sworn in and seated as a jury the next day.
ByLauren Peller
March 28, 2024, 1:15 PM

House Speaker Mike Johnson announced on Thursday that the impeachment articles against Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas will be sent to the Senate on April 10, and senators are then expected to be sworn in and seated as a jury the next day, April 11.

In a new letter, Johnson and the Republican impeachment managers called on Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer to "schedule a trial of the matter expeditiously."

The House voted to impeach Mayorkas on Feb. 13 by a vote of 214-213 over what Republicans claimed was his failure to enforce border laws amid a "crisis" of high illegal immigration, allegations the secretary denied as "baseless." But Johnson waited to send over the articles until the government was fully funded.

more
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/johnson-mayorkas-impeachment-articles-head-senate/story?id=108615004
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
Tester is one kind of democrat.

Brown is a completely different kind.  A total left wing asswipe who has done nothing for anyone since he's been in office.

I hope he doesn't just lose.  I hope he gets the Liz Cheney stomping he deserves.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Schumer will :

(1) first table it
(2) try to sqaush it with voice vote
(3) sponsor a filibuster
(4) and last all those vulnerble dims will be absent or vote by abstain.

I give it 50/50 that this even reaches  a vote.  And since  only 34 votes are needed to derail conviction.  Plenty of wiggle room for step 4, to be absent or abstain.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.