Author Topic: Inflation ticked higher in February as consumer spending soared  (Read 1294 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Inflation ticked higher in February as consumer spending soared
by Taylor Giorno - 03/29/24 8:37 AM ET

Inflation ticked up in February, according to new federal data released Friday.

The personal consumption expenditures (PCE) price index, the Federal Reserve’s preferred way to measure inflation, rose 0.3 percent in February. The annual inflation rate rose to 2.5 percent in February, up 0.1 percentage points from January.

“Core” inflation, which excludes volatile food and energy prices, clocked in at 0.3 percent in February after rising 0.4 percent in January. Year-over-year, core inflation held steady at 2.8 percent from January.

“Price growth continues to slow, slowly. It’s a little like watching a kid do a long-distance run. From the unsustainable all-out sprint we witnessed peaking in mid-2022, to the sputtering tempos we’re witnessing now. Occasionally, there’s a brief quickening, but overall we’re losing steam,” said Elizabeth Renter, a data analyst at NerdWallet.

The slight February increase in inflation was in line with economist forecasts, but a 0.8 percent jump in consumer spending last month far exceeded expert projections. Analysts expected consumer spending to rise 0.3 percent in February.

When adjusting for inflation, spending rose 0.4 percent in February after dipping 0.2 percent in January.

Personal incomes rose in lockstep with inflation at 0.3 percent after a surprise 1-percent jump in January, which was more than double what economists had projected.

more
https://thehill.com/business/4562405-inflation-ticker-higher-in-february-as-consumer-spending-soared/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Hoodat

Re: Inflation ticked higher in February as consumer spending soared
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2024, 01:59:27 pm »
If government keeps doing the thing that causes inflation, we will have inflation.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2024, 02:03:53 pm »
Biden and his morons will tout the spending.

They really don't care that the real people getting hurt here are the working poor. 

Grocery prices, with the exception of eggs, have gone up 20% and have not made any progrress coming down.

Great that some of us have money to spend like this. 

But the most vulnerable are being really hurt by his moronic policies.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2024, 02:11:15 pm »
Many people fail to realize that inflation is  a permanent blight that incrementially erodes every financial aspect of our lives.  You never recover those losses.

Proof?  The last calendar year this nation had negative inflation rate?  1954
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2024, 03:44:12 pm »
:pondering: Is it that consumer spending soared or just that prices soared? I know I haven't been buying much of anything in the way of consumer goods for a long time............Uh, guns, gun parts, ammo and reloading supplies aren't consumer goods, right? I always considered the health and safety essentials.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2024, 03:51:39 pm »
Is it that consumer spending soared or just that prices soared?

It is that the supply of dollars has soared.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline LMAO

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2024, 06:37:31 pm »
Biden and his morons will tout the spending.

They really don't care that the real people getting hurt here are the working poor. 

Grocery prices, with the exception of eggs, have gone up 20% and have not made any progrress coming down.

Great that some of us have money to spend like this. 

But the most vulnerable are being really hurt by his moronic policies.

They either really don’t care that the working poor are getting hit or they really believe things are getting better for those folks and they just haven’t realized yet how wonderful things are under Biden
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline LMAO

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2024, 06:37:52 pm »
If government keeps doing the thing that causes inflation, we will have inflation.

Yup

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2024, 02:24:31 am »
:pondering: Is it that consumer spending soared or just that prices soared?

Gasoline is up here $0.70/gallon in the last two months (25% increase).
Fuel costs go up, everything goes up.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis