Author Topic: Baltimore Sun features an academic warning that climate change must be factored into rebuilding  (Read 532 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Baltimore Sun features an academic warning that climate change must be factored into rebuilding Key Bridge: ‘How does this bridge withstand climate change?’
By Marc Morano
March 28, 2024
9:14 am
https://www.baltimoresun.com/2024/03/27/how-long-to-rebuild-key-bridge/

How long will it take to rebuild the Key Bridge following its collapse?

Excerpt: Natalie M. Scala, an associate professor at Towson University who directs the graduate program in supply chain management, said any “prudent bridge discussion” should include thinking about how the world will change over the next century, especially concerning how sea level rise could affect the port.

“If we are smart about this, we are going to ask, ‘How does this bridge withstand climate change?’” Scala said. “When [the Key Bridge] was built, ships were not this large. What kind of engineering can be done to support the kind of shipping we do now? If we take blueprints from previous bridges and open them up, we’re not really solving the question of how we got here in the first place.”

https://www.climatedepot.com/2024/03/28/baltimore-sun-features-academic-warning-that-climate-change-must-be-factored-in-for-rebuild-of-key-bridge-how-does-this-bridge-withstand-climate-change/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The solution is absurdly simple.  Do like BART in San Fransicko did and put a tunnel under Chesapeake Bay. :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Agree with ranger above.

Dredge "a trench" for the tunnel, then drop in pre-fabricated sections.

This would probably get done more quickly than an entire new bridge with "approaches".

And as I've mentioned before (probably the first person on the net to to suggest it), establish a "fast ferry service" for hazardous, over-sized, and otherwise-prohibited loads.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Remember, folks, this bridge was the answer to getting hazardous and oversized cargoes to the other side without going through town. A tunnel isn't the solution for that.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Joe wrote:
"Remember, folks, this bridge was the answer to getting hazardous and oversized cargoes to the other side without going through town. A tunnel isn't the solution for that."

Then put in a ferry for them.
They need to do that RIGHT NOW.
It's going to be some years before a bridge (or a tunnel) is completed, in any case.