Author Topic: Dems, Media Push New Study Linking Climate Change To Inflation, But Economists Aren’t Buying It  (Read 188 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Dems, Media Push New Study Linking Climate Change To Inflation, But Economists Aren’t Buying It
Inflation Slowing Down, But Price Of Groceries Remain Higher Than Pre Pandemic Levels

NICK POPE
CONTRIBUTOR
March 27, 2024

Liberals are touting a new study linking climate change and inflation, but economists say that the real causes are more likely to be massive government interventions in the economy purporting to save the climate.

The study, authored by four European researchers and published in the scientific journal Communications: Earth and Environment on March 21, argues that “temperature increases cause nonlinear, persistent increases in food and headline inflation,” according to its text. While corporate media outlets, climate activists and Democrats have boosted the study’s findings, the forces related to climate change that are likely to drive persistent inflation are massive government taxation, spending and regulation pushed by policymakers to fight climate change, according to economists who spoke with the Daily Caller News Foundation.

Climate activists, including Climate Power — which is spending $80 million to support President Joe Biden in 2024 — have touted the study’s findings, while outlets including The Associated Press, ABC News, Axios, The Los Angeles Times and The Hill have also pushed the study since its release. Democrats on the Senate Budget Committee also promoted the study on X, formerly Twitter, stating thats its findings demonstrate another way “that climate change is raising costs for families and threatening our entire economy.”

https://dailycaller.com/2024/03/27/new-study-climateflation-economists-disagree/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
But in a roundabout way there is a definite link.

In the fairy-tale land where the oceans are going to boil, the rain forests turn to desert, and humans all perish miserably, there is a distinct and earnest movement afoot to remove the most viable technologies for transporting, well, everything, based in the earnest belief in this wild fantasy that this will somehow cause an end to natural and cyclical processes over which humans have no control and set the planet's thermostat at some ideal temperature, as if there was a paragraph on that in the owner's manual.

But by blaming the wrong factors for the weather, and skewing the data which exist, these folks have justified declaring war on the very fuels which transport every item not produced in their back yards, and claim that this will cause their urban heat islands to cool, along with those produced by the sunlight hitting vast arrays which absorb that energy and convert a fraction of it to electricity, which will power the world (of course), once they get a long enough extension cord.

All that 'war' is expensive, though, and cost of meeting the moving goalposts of compliance with its ever-increasing and arbitrary restrictions (not to mention the patent inefficiencies and unreliability of the replacement systems) has, in fact, increased the cost of transporting virtually anything anywhere.

That cost, of course, is borne by the consumer, who pays higher prices for (see above) well, everything. In terms of material goods per unit of currency, that means it takes more units of currency to purchase any given amount of those material goods, whatever they are.

At some point, 'sustainable' isn't, if for no more reason than it costs too bloody much.

And there is your link to economics, in an organically grown, cage free, free range, sustainable nutshell.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis