Author Topic: Good, low cost meals  (Read 3593 times)

Offline unite for individuality

• I think, therefore I am... a misfit!
Good, low cost meals
« on: March 28, 2024, 08:56:13 pm »
Here are some meals that can be prepared at relatively low cost, and are tasty and satisfying.

Rice based meals - Rice is a major food staple around the world.  It is the main ingredient in many kinds of meals.

Prepare the rice like normal - in boiling water.  When you strain out the rice, save the water, and use it to make tea or soup.  The water contains many nutrients that washed off the surface of the rice during cooking.  Add other ingredients to make the rice into a satisfying meal.  Ingredients such as chunky soup (Campbell's, Progresso, etc.), beef stew, etc.

Chicken - Chicken is the least expensive meat.  Leg quarters are usually the least expensive (and tastiest!) part of the chicken.  They can be bought at low cost frozen, or fresh (Walmart usually has them for about 69 cents a pound, at this writing).  Boil the leg quarters for one hour in a big pot of water.  This will make them so tender that the meat actually does fall off the bone!  You can dice the meat into small pieces, and add them to rice dishes.

Pork - Pork is often available at low cost, especially before Christmas and Easter.  Check the packaging.  It might be pre-cooked and ready to eat.  It's best to not cook it again.  That only destroys the tenderness.  If the pork is not cooked, boil it in a big pot of water for an hour, just like chicken.  Fried pork often comes out very tough.  Boiled pork is always at least fairly tender.  You can cut it across the muscle fibers to enhance the tenderness.  Diced pork can also be added to rice dishes.

Hot dogs and bologna - Prices can vary widely between brands, and from one week to the next.  Flavor can also vary between brands.  Hot dogs dipped in barbecue sauce can be very tasty.

Potatoes - Potatoes provide plenty of calories per dollar.  It's best to not peel potatoes.  Most of the nutrition is in the first millimeter under the skin.  You can buy devices at the grocery store that you shove down onto the potato with both hands, to easily cut the potato into slices, sticks, or wedges.  They can then be deep fried, pan fried, or baked in the oven.  All the enhancements (meat, eggs, veggies, soup, etc.) that can be added to rice dishes can also be added to potato based dishes.

Eggs - One way to prepare eggs is to crack them open over a big pot of boiling water.  Then, when the eggs are cooked, ladle them out with a strainer.  If you cook eggs this way, you can cook a dozen or two dozen or three dozen all in one session, and then have plenty of egg on hand that is ready to eat.  You can also add pieces of cooked egg to rice or potato dishes.

Pasta or noodles can be inexpensive, if you look for it on sale, or buy store brands.  Rice and potatoes are healthier.  Spaghetti sauce can vary widely in price.  Pasta sauce can often be found at about the half of the price of the cheapest salsa.

Store brand tortilla chips are usually much less expensive than name brand chips.  Tortilla chips are made from corn and tend to cost less than potato chips. 

Popcorn is one of the least expensive snack foods.  Pieces getting stuck in your teeth can be annoying.

With the cost of food skyrocketing, these meals can help keep everyone fed without going broke.  I'm sure there are many more possibilities.  Comments are open!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2024, 06:16:34 pm by unite for individuality »
If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion,
mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
   -- John Stuart Mill

Here are the 10 RINOs who voted to impeach Trump on Jan. 13, 2021 - NEVER forget!
WY  Liz Cheney      SC 7  Tom Rice             WA 4  Dan Newhouse    IL 16  Adam Kinzinger    OH 16  Anthony Gonzalez
MI 6  Fred Upton    WA 3  Jaime Herrera Beutler    MI 3  Peter Meijer       NY 24  John Katko       CA 21  David Valadao

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: Good, low cost meals
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2024, 09:14:00 pm »
bkmk
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2024, 09:16:27 pm »
Masa. Learn to make masa.

With that you can make your own tortillas - It's a pretty easy process if you have a bread maker that can handle the stiff dough... From there they can be pressed out (using a tortilla press) or rolled out and passed over a hot cast iron pan to cook - They actually 'cook' in seconds. With a little practice, and developed efficiencies, 12-24 fresh, so-mo-bedda tortillas await you in about 1/2 hour's time.

Those can be quartered and stacked, then the stacks halved, ad halved again, to form your own chips, which go through the fryer in no time at all.

WAY easier than bread.

Also Bannock or Indian fry bread. Internet recipes abound... But they are all pretty much the same.

Easy to wrap around a stick and cook over a fire, or flattened and thrown in a cast iron pan to fry.
Very versatile. Indian tacos or bushcraft pizza, or stuffed with cheese or folded over and filled with whatever ingredient..

Even for breakfast - fry up hash browns, fry up an egg, and fry up some flatbread - Lay the hash browns down on the flat bread, lay the eggs on top of the hashbrowns. throw on some picante sauce.

all of the above... Staple food, easy and delicious... and costs pennies
You won't believe how good fresh tortillas are. You'll wonder why you've been paying for the crap at the store.

Offline berdie

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2024, 09:26:06 pm »
Beans. Pintos, navy, butter beans, black beans...  With a pan of cornbread.

It will keep ya goin' on the cheap.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2024, 09:42:45 pm »
Beans. Pintos, navy, butter beans, black beans...  With a pan of cornbread.

It will keep ya goin' on the cheap.

More than keep you going... Many, many times I have set down to red beans and rice with a burger or sausage patty busted in, and some corn bread on the side or laid under the rest.

I would take that over any $50 plate in any restaurant.

But yeah - Learn to cook beans. I know it ain't so in Texas, but dang near anywhere else, beans make chili. And if you are looking to stretch a buck, anything you can make in a big pot is gonna go far.

Before the current inflation, my chili cost about 12 bucks, took about a half hour of prep (and a while on the bubble)and would feed me for a week.

I mean ALL week. So many things to do with a good chili. Chili fries, chili over potatoes, a chili omlette... Lay down texas toast, rip a couple big hot dogs down the middle and lay them down on the toast, cover em with chili and cheese, and a garnish of onion and parsley. SO GOOD!

So when do we get to casseroles?

Offline berdie

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2024, 10:17:38 pm »
I know I'll lose my Tx citizenship...but I put beans in my chili as well.

I am a big fan of casseroles but with today's prices there aren't  too many you can make on the cheap. Probably still cheaper for a family though.

I'll be interested to see some ideas.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2024, 11:17:33 pm »
On the cheap -- I ran across this recipe years ago when my kids were toddler -- this was a favorite.  I still make it and it lasts hubby and I a couple of meals.

Granny's Goulash:

1 - 1.5 lbs. ground beef
24 oz. tomato sauce (any jarred sauce works fine)
box macaroni and cheese

Brown the ground beef, cook the macaroni and cheese and stir all together with the tomato sauce in a casserole dish.
Bake at 325 for 1/2 hour

I usually top with additional cheese slices or shredded cheese. Serve with a salad, vegs, and some garlic bread.

Cheap, easy, and fills you up.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 11:18:22 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2024, 11:29:28 pm »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2024, 11:30:30 pm »
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2024, 11:35:24 pm »
Prison food.

College students loved them too, when I was a college student.  Back in the 70's, these were a nickel a pop.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2024, 11:35:55 pm »
I wonder how long you could survive on just milk?

Offline rustynail

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2024, 11:39:38 pm »
I wonder how long you could survive on just milk?

The body needs about 26 grams of fiber a day.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2024, 11:39:54 pm »
College students loved them too, when I was a college student.  Back in the 70's, these were a nickel a pop.

They are ok for filler but not much nutrition.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2024, 11:47:58 pm »
The body needs about 26 grams of fiber a day.

Not really. I know tons of people who do zero fiber.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2024, 11:56:27 pm »
On the cheap -- I ran across this recipe years ago when my kids were toddler -- this was a favorite.  I still make it and it lasts hubby and I a couple of meals.

Granny's Goulash:

1 - 1.5 lbs. ground beef
24 oz. tomato sauce (any jarred sauce works fine)
box macaroni and cheese

Brown the ground beef, cook the macaroni and cheese and stir all together with the tomato sauce in a casserole dish.
Bake at 325 for 1/2 hour

I usually top with additional cheese slices or shredded cheese. Serve with a salad, vegs, and some garlic bread.

Cheap, easy, and fills you up.
@libertybele

You just wrote the recipe for Hamburger Helper.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2024, 12:28:11 am »

I ate buckets of that stuff... Not so bad if you throw in some burger or chicken and some stir fry veggies... You can jack it up alright.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2024, 12:31:31 am »
@libertybele

You just wrote the recipe for Hamburger Helper.

I LOVE hamburger helper... But it makes me poop bricks.  **nononono*

Make that stuff from scratch.

And btw... I keep that original Mac & Cheese around, but only and specifically for chili-mac, which should not be forgotten. One big scoop of chili thrown into that stuff makes it wonderful... And is not better with scratch made Mac.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2024, 12:47:16 am »
I LOVE hamburger helper... But it makes me poop bricks.  **nononono*

Make that stuff from scratch.

And btw... I keep that original Mac & Cheese around, but only and specifically for chili-mac, which should not be forgotten. One big scoop of chili thrown into that stuff makes it wonderful... And is not better with scratch made Mac.

Yes, make it from scratch -- but I do use Annie's Organic mac' n cheese....hey, it's good.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2024, 12:48:54 am »

I've never eaten them, but I can attest that when my kids were in college -- they ate plenty of 'em.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2024, 12:57:07 am »
Yes, make it from scratch -- but I do use Annie's Organic mac' n cheese....hey, it's good.

Nope. For Hamburger Helper (Cheeseburger Macaroni flavor, which I assume is on point), I start from standard scratch built Mac & Cheese -  Old school, except I am prone to use American cheese instead of cheddar with the rue, and then put a sharp cheddar over the top - But a standard old-school, Mac... get it cooked and bubblin...

Then stir fry an onion, G.Pepper and a pound of burger together - Along with whatever spices ... Last minute, mix in tomato sauce in the stir fry, get it bubblin good, then combine the two...

Shake it over with sharp cheddar like I said, and stuff it all in the oven at 350 for 15-20 minutes...

Endless variations, but something like that.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 12:58:21 am by roamer_1 »

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2024, 01:02:45 am »
Nobody's said anything about Kielbasa and cabbage...

Fry up kielbasa coins to get a sear on em - Set aside.
Half a head, fairly fine chopped.
In the pan with an onion (rough-chopped or julienne)... Red bell pepper, again, rough or julienne)
*whatever else*

Let it all cook down

Before serving, throw in the kielbasa.

I could eat that every day.

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2024, 01:23:21 am »
 :bkmk:
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2024, 01:42:11 am »
Ramen noodles are very high in salt unfortunately.... kids can get away with it for a while, not so much me. We had a rice and Chicken dinner tonight (with some homemade gravy).

We have our own Chickens for about 6 months now... 5 or 6 eggs a day so the wife does a lot of devil eggs for church functions. I have 2 (sometimes 3) eggs for breakfast about 5 times a week. Throw in a slice of ham or bacon on the skillet and you have a good breakfast. Grits or Oatmeal other times.

I got a son that works part time at a grocery store (for college money). He lets his mother know when there is a good deal on things and will often call her and ask if she wants a particular deal (and how many). If a great deal the wife will carry the extra to church to share with the other ladies (and they do vice-versa).

We have started saving grease from meats... straining it to keep it mostly clean in jars we keep by the stove. It makes the grease for cooking and keeping the iron pans oiled so they don't rust (keeps them conditioned).
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 01:44:48 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2024, 02:08:05 am »
One of my favorite summer meals Is to cut coins of peeled eggplant, fairly thin, say 1/4 inch or so...

Drag it through an eggwash and then through flour - If you are feeling adventurous, crushed corn flakes, italian bread crumbs or penko... Then throw it in a pan using butter for the grease - you'll need a fair bit of butter, to cover the bottom of the pan a quarter inch or so, and you'll need to add butter as you go...

But pan fry it golden brown and flip em over...
When they won't stay on a fork they're done.

Place the finished eggplant on a piece of really crappy white bread with too much butter, open face...
Give it too much salt.

If you have em, a big ol slice of tomato with more salt.

You'll have to have paper towels ready, because often you must swab the pan out between batches.

It almost has a breaded fish texture... Super good.
If you have you're own butter and your own garden, all you're into it is the crappy store bought bread.
I can put down 6 or 8 of em so a family can murder an eggplant pretty quick.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2024, 02:11:17 am »
I call this "Poor Man's Spaghetti"

* 5 cloves of fresh garlic
* 3/4 cup of olive oil
* 1 Tablespoon red pepper flakes
* 3 to 4 eggs
* 1 Tablespoon butter
* 1/3 Cup chopped fresh parsley florets (no stems)
* 1/2lb Barilla thin spaghetti[/b]

1) Sautee chopped/minced garlic and red pepper flakes in olive oil.  Do NOT allow garlic to burn.  Remove from stove and set aside.
2) Boil pasta in salted water to el dente state.  Pour excess water out but leave enough to just cover cooked pasta.
3) Fry eggs in butter sunny side up.  Do NOT overcook.
4) Return oil/garlic/red pepper flakes to cooked pasta and remaining water.
5) Add the fried eggs and butter to the pot and poke egg yokes with fork...stir gently
6) Add the chopped parsley to the pot.

Remove cooked pasta and eggs from the boiled water mixture
Spoon or use ladle the water/oil/garlic/pepper/parsley mixture over the cooked pasta and egg in your plate.

Enjoy!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald