Author Topic: “A Time for Choosing”: Urgent Action or Continuing Folly  (Read 181 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
“A Time for Choosing”: Urgent Action or Continuing Folly
« on: March 28, 2024, 01:18:37 pm »
Keith B. Payne, “A Time for Choosing”: Urgent Action or Continuing Folly, No. 580, March 26, 2024

“A Time for Choosing”:  Urgent Action or Continuing Folly

Dr. Keith B. Payne is a co-founder of the National Institute for Public Policy, professor emeritus at the Graduate School of Defense and Strategic Studies, Missouri State University, a former Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense and former Senior Advisor to the Office of the Secretary of Defense.

Introduction

Washington’s global system of alliances is facing extremely tough internal and external problems.  These problems are neither fleeting nor prosaic; they are now structural and will require significant efforts to ameliorate.  That harsh reality would matter little if alliances were unimportant to Western security.  But they are the West’s key advantage over an aggressive, authoritarian bloc, including a Sino-Russian entente, North Korea and Iran, that seeks to overturn the liberal world order created and sustained by U.S. and allied power.  To maintain that advantage, Washington must recognize and respond to those threats, while resisting the usual anti-defense spending/anti-military themes of the “progressive” Left and the seeming neo-isolationism of some on the political Right.

U.S. defense budgets in decline when adjusted for inflation,[1] and a trend within parts of the Republican Party to oppose continuing military aid to Ukraine, are not lost on allies who fear for their security and are ultimately dependent on a seemingly reticent United States for their security. As threat conditions become increasingly severe and obvious, some allies, particularly those who are on the frontlines vis-à-vis Russia, China, and North Korea, understandably are increasingly alarmed.

Evidence of this alarm includes open allied discussions about acquiring independent nuclear capabilities—with the corresponding potential for a cascade of nuclear proliferation.  Perhaps most surprising are open German and Japanese discussions of independent nuclear deterrence capabilities.[2]  In Japan, the subject is tied directly to the continuing credibility of the U.S. extended nuclear deterrent and has moved from being politically taboo to an open public discussion.[3]  In February 2023, a Japanese defense study chaired by former military chief of staff Ryoichi Oriki reportedly suggested that “Japan ease its three nonnuclear principles that prohibit possessing, producing or allowing entry into Japan of nuclear weapons.”[4]

https://nipp.org/information_series/keith-b-payne-a-time-for-choosing-urgent-action-or-continuing-folly-no-580-march-26-2024/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: “A Time for Choosing”: Urgent Action or Continuing Folly
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2024, 01:23:32 pm »
Washington’s global system of alliances is facing extremely tough internal and external problems.   

"It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliance with any portion of the foreign world."

FAREWELL ADDRESS TO THE PEOPLE OF THE UNITED STATES | MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 19, 1796

Washington's admonition to Americans to avoid foreign entanglements stemmed from his own personal experience. He knew first hand how costly wars could be and wanted the young nation to maintain a goal of neutrality with all foreign governments as much as possible.  Washington continued his commentary by noting: "so far, I mean, as we are now at liberty to do it; for let me not be understood as capable of patronising infidelity to existing engagements" - Washington still intended for the United States to honor all existing international treaties.

Farewell Address | Monday, September 19, 1796

We were warned!
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson