Author Topic: Floating Offshore Wind Farms Will Squander Hundreds Of Billions Of Taxpayer Dollars  (Read 390 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Floating Offshore Wind Farms Will Squander Hundreds Of Billions Of Taxpayer Dollars
by Edward Ring  Mar 27, 2024 in News And Opinion
offshore wind sunset

In December 2022, after years of planning, the U.S. Dept. of the Interior sold rights to develop offshore wind in five lease areas off the California coast. Five companies submitted successful bids, paying a total of $757 million for development rights. [emphasis, links added]

These leases are located 20 miles off the California coast in water approximately 4,000 feet deep. The floating wind turbines will be tethered to the ocean floor with cables, and each of them will also require a high-voltage transmission cable that will pass through the water and traverse the sea bottom for 20 miles to connect to the grid onshore.

The environmental impact and logistical challenges of installing and operating these floating leviathans are devastating.

With 25 gigawatts of installed “nameplate capacity” called for by 2045, even at 10 megawatts per wind turbine, this would require 2,500 floating turbines. Each one would tower roughly 1,000 feet from the water line to the tip of a rotor blade in a vertical position, with substantial additional structure required underwater in the form of floatation pontoons and counterweights.

https://climatechangedispatch.com/floating-offshore-wind-farms-will-squander-hundreds-of-billions-of-taxpayer-dollars/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
I'm sure shipping lanes will have to be changed to accommodate them.  Think Baltimore.  That will likely increase the cost of shipping.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Will an errant hurricane do to these "offshore" farms, similar to what recent hailstorms have done to some solar farms...?