Author Topic: Trump’s 10% tariffs would be $1,500 tax hike for families, left-of-center think tank finds  (Read 700 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump’s 10% tariffs would be $1,500 tax hike for families, left-of-center think tank finds
By
Zachary Halaschak
March 27, 2024 3:50 pm

A new analysis found that former President Donald Trump’s proposal to apply 10% across-the-board tariffs would be akin to a $1,500 annual tax increase for the typical household.

The analysis, released by the left-of-center think tank Center for American Progress, found that Trump’s 10% tariffs would squeeze consumers because companies would pass the costs on to them. The tariffs would be like a $90 tax increase on food, a $90 tax increase on prescription drugs, and a $120 tax increase on oil and petroleum products.

“Donald Trump’s tariffs would crush America’s middle class by increasing the cost of everything, from food, fuel, clothing, and more, while failing to boost American manufacturing,” said Brendan Duke, senior director for Economic Policy at CAP Action. “Trump’s plans stand in stark contrast to President Joe Biden’s proposals, which would cut taxes for working families and continue the recent historic surge in the construction of American manufacturing facilities.”

Trump is at odds with many free-trade proponents in his party, although Republicans, led by Trump’s populist appeal, have increasingly become more open to tariffs. They see it as a way to reshore jobs and rebuild the country’s manufacturing base.

Trump floated the idea of 10% across-the-board tariffs last year. Such an aggressive move could be seen, at least in terms of trade policy, as a shift to the left of Biden, who hasn’t increased tariffs but has kept some of Trump’s tariffs in place. That is one reason why the CAP attack is worth noting.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/finance-and-economy/2941790/trumps-10-tariffs-1500-tax-hike-families/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline DefiantMassRINO

... not for stuff from America.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline LMAO

From the article....

Trump floated the idea of 10% across-the-board tariffs last year. Such an aggressive move could be seen, at least in terms of trade policy, as a shift to the left of Biden, who hasn’t increased tariffs but has kept some of Trump’s tariffs in place. That is one reason why the CAP attack is worth noting.

So Donald "Herbert Hoover" Trump is not only going to put 10% tariffs on imports, but he wants to a 60%  tariff on China.

Nice. Start a trade war and raise costs for Americans when inflation is already hurting American consumers.

The current Democrat president is to the right of the GOP nominee this year ****slapping
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
From the article....

So Donald "Herbert Hoover" Trump is not only going to put 10% tariffs on imports, but he wants to a 60%  tariff on China.

Nice. Start a trade war and raise costs for Americans when inflation is already hurting American consumers.

The current Democrat president is to the right of the GOP nominee this year ****slapping
The Red Chinese have been in a "trade war" with us for decades—and winning.

If surrender to Communists is a right-wing position, call me Karl Marx.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
... not for stuff from America.
To get those prices down, the nonsense about EV heavy haul trucks and the war on oil and Natural Gas would have to stop.

Gasoline is up 70 cents per gallon in the last two months (now, $3.49 9/10 here). Add 25% to the price of February's fill up. Those higher fuel costs translate to higher prices for everything you buy, because very little doesn't ride in on a truck from elsewhere.  So, if Trump pulled off the insane emissions rules, shut down 99% of the EPA anti carbon garbage, reopened leasing (as required by the laws the Bidens have used for TP) onshore and off, there is a good chance fuel costs would drop. (Oh, and permit some pipelines, for Pete's sake)

A lot of this would offset the tariff increase, and it would be nice to see some new American jobs, too, even if it is just greasing the robots.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis