General Category > Science, Technology and Knowledge

A quiet Maine county braces for the eclipse. ‘Where are 20,000 people going to pee?'

<< < (3/3)

Gefn:

--- Quote from: deb on March 30, 2024, 04:12:04 pm ---We are actually on our way to Texas to see the eclipse, plus I have family down there. (Family is the main reason.)
The county that my sister resides in is expecting 1 million visitors. School is closed for the day.

--- End quote ---

@deb

so jelly! I wanted to do the same thing but I should have made hotel reservations two years ago. I thought of New England also but no hotels.

I should be able to see it at 90 percent totality here at home , and I bought special glasses a month or so from a very reputable
store. Got glasses from there 7 years ago for that eclipse

bigheadfred:
@Sighlass  @mountaineer

A TOTAL solar eclipse is completely different from a partial eclipse. Even the smallest bit of sun showing ruins the effect. Any filter washes out the corona. All the pictures I've seen don't do it justice.  I saw the last one. Perfect weather.  It happened around noon and when it went total and you could look at it without a filter with the corona blazing I have say it was the most spectacular (astronomical) event I have ever seen. The next closest event I've seen would be when there was a total lunar eclipse  on one side of the sky with Hale Bopp blazing on the other.

This one is supposed to last longer than the last with a more active sun. If the total was happening within 200 miles of me I would drive to see it.

cato potatoe:
The short period of totality is amazing, with a sudden twilight, black sky, and orange glow on every horizon.  I drove a couple of hours to watch the last one with friends in SC.  It was worthwhile, but I would not board a plane or book a hotel. 

bigheadfred:

--- Quote from: cato potatoe on April 01, 2024, 02:35:25 pm ---The short period of totality is amazing, with a sudden twilight, black sky, and orange glow on every horizon.  I drove a couple of hours to watch the last one with friends in SC.  It was worthwhile, but I would not board a plane or book a hotel.

--- End quote ---

I wonder how much time of day changes it? When I saw it there was the weird twilight.  But the sky was a deeper blue and no orange glow. It was like looking at a giant pupil and iris.

mountaineer:
It would be about a 3-4 hour drive for me, e.g., Cleveland, to be in its path to witness it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version