Author Topic: The Guardian Pushes ‘New’ Legal Theory Of Prosecuting Big Oil For Climate Deaths  (Read 472 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The Guardian Pushes ‘New’ Legal Theory Of Prosecuting Big Oil For Climate Deaths
by Linnea Lueken  Mar 25, 2024 in News And Opinion

A recent Guardian article, “Fossil fuel firms could be tried in US for homicide over climate-related deaths, experts say,” describes a “new legal theory” that claims fossil fuel companies could be tried for homicide based on the claim that fossil fuel use causes climate change and extreme weather resulting in unnecessary deaths. [emphasis, links added]

There are several problematic aspects with this so-called legal theory, the primary of which is that the facts don’t support the theory: people are not increasingly dying from climate change.

In fact, the opposite is true: deaths resulting from extreme weather events and temperatures have declined dramatically even as the Earth has slightly warmed.

https://climatechangedispatch.com/the-guardian-pushes-new-legal-theory-of-prosecuting-big-oil-for-climate-deaths/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
As I said in another comment, the left is weaponizing the legal system to sue opposition into nonexistence.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
As I said in another comment, the left is weaponizing the legal system to sue opposition into nonexistence.

The left has been trying to destroy all industries that are historically conservative for decades  Oil, Farming, Ranching, Chemical Industry, Mining, et.al.

The lawfare tactic just recently has been amended and utilized for attacks on individuals.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Ranger rambles:
"As I said in another comment, the left is weaponizing the legal system to sue opposition into nonexistence."

OK, I just have to ask:
Considering the way it's been going over the past several years, do we really NEED "a legal system" (or at least the one we have now) any more?

(that is presented as a SERIOUS question -- c'mon, knock me right down)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Interesting.

Who burned that oil?

For that Matter, who burned that coal, that natural gas, that wood?

If you are going to buy into the Klimate Kult, and drink their flavor of Flavor Aid, then the alleged victims are the perpetrators.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis