Author Topic: Baltimore's Francis Scott Key Bridge Collapses (Hit by a ship)  (Read 12115 times)

Offline Lando Lincoln

Re: Baltimore's Francis Scott Key Bridge Collapses (Hit by a ship)
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2024, 04:44:39 pm »
Biden to speak soon.. *****rollingeyes*****

“I’ve instructed my DEI team of experts…
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline libertybele

« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2024, 04:45:29 pm »
Thank Goodness!

Right.  This is such a tragedy, no doubt Joe will turn it into comedic entertainment.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2024, 04:49:23 pm »
Collin Rugg
@CollinRugg
JUST IN: Officials stopped cars from crossing the Francis Scott Key Bridge just moments before the cargo ship collided, saving lots of lives.

According to Maryland Gov. Wes Moore, the ship issued a “mayday” call before colliding.

The workers on the bridge jumped into action and halted traffic, saving many lives.

“The ship issued a mayday loss of power. The workers on the bridge halted traffic right before impact. They saved lots of lives,” Moore said.

Six people remain missing. Two have been rescued and sent to the hospital.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline libertybele

« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2024, 04:49:54 pm »
2 minutes into his speech and I just can't watch 'Mumbles' anymore. Good thing he's been across that bridge many times *****rollingeyes*****   Oh good.... Buttgig is on the scene. Yadda...yadda.. yadda....
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2024, 04:53:03 pm »
First off, enough with the 2nd-guessing the engineering, etc.  I was an engineer, though not civil, just mechanical.  Simply speaking you can only design for so much.  World Trade Center wasn’t designed for large airplanes full of fuel deliberately charging for it.  The piers are a “key” structure for a bridge.  Bring it down and likely the whole thing comes down.  Who cares about the timing?  This was a truss bridge, not a suspension.  Either way, the manner it is designed, supported, and hit with what huge thing can affect how quickly it all falls.  There are so many factors.  Why call everyone into doubt?

Terrorism?  No way.  Just a huge ship, not at all uncommon here, losing its way and having massive momentum, and exerting massive force when it hits.

Just to add a bit more context, the bridge was a ~1970 design, and thus designed for stresses foreseeable at the time. The ship that brought it down, apparently, was a modern container ship, possibly larger than the designers foresaw.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2024, 04:56:52 pm »
Just to add a bit more context, the bridge was a ~1970 design, and thus designed for stresses foreseeable at the time. The ship that brought it down, apparently, was a modern container ship, possibly larger than the designers foresaw.

Correct.  Containerships of the 1970s were much smaller than the super ships of today.  Personally, I think that the modern ones are way too big, such as the one that got stuck in the Suez Canal a few years back.  But that's the economics of the 21st century maritime trade.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2024, 04:56:54 pm »

I can't even watch the old fish-eyed fool. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2024, 05:02:11 pm »
Right.  This is such a tragedy, no doubt Joe will turn it into comedic entertainment.

It doesn't take an abacus to figure out that he will blame Trump.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2024, 05:04:28 pm »

https://twitter.com/townhallcom/status/1772668833460822039

Here come the cost overruns.  And delays, it will probably take years to reconstruct the bridge. 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline rustynail

« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2024, 05:08:49 pm »
No Pottery Barn rule for ships in ports?

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2024, 05:11:24 pm »
World Trade Center wasn’t designed for large airplanes full of fuel deliberately charging for it.

Actually, it was.  For a steel-framed structure, they did a good job of protecting that steel from fire in the original design.  That protection included an asbestos sheathing for the primary beams.  Unfortunately, liberals got involved mid-construction by insisting that this asbestos sheathing be replaced with a new foam-type covering.  This change was implemented around the 60th floor upward.

Anyone working in the WTC knew that if there was a fire above the 60th floor, they were screwed.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2024, 05:11:49 pm »

https://twitter.com/townhallcom/status/1772668833460822039

Umm, didn't that shipping company have insurance? If not, why was it allowed inland? We certainly had to pay for 4 boys to have car insurance.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 05:12:43 pm by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2024, 05:15:03 pm »
2 minutes into his speech and I just can't watch 'Mumbles' anymore. Good thing he's been across that bridge many times *****rollingeyes*****   

He drove a semi across that bridge twice daily while visiting Beau in the hospital.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline LMAO

« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2024, 05:32:59 pm »
<iframe allowfullscreen frameborder="0" width="698" height="573" scrolling="no" id="molvideoplayer" title="MailOnline Embed Player" src="https://www.dailymail.co.uk/embed/video/3154629.html"></iframe>

My God
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline LMAO

« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2024, 05:33:34 pm »
He drove a semi across that bridge twice daily while visiting Beau in the hospital.

Right after he got done taking on corn pop and letting children rub his hairy legs
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2024, 05:45:06 pm »
Biden's slurring, incoherent statement on the destruction of the Key bridge was, um, so uplifting.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2024, 05:49:14 pm »
Umm, didn't that shipping company have insurance? If not, why was it allowed inland? We certainly had to pay for 4 boys to have car insurance.
My thoughts also when I read it.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2024, 06:16:00 pm »
Here come the cost overruns.  And delays, it will probably take years to reconstruct the bridge.

And the lowest minority owned bidder (DEI clause) will get the contract and give the kick-backs. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2024, 06:19:49 pm »
And the lowest minority owned bidder (DEI clause) will get the contract and give the kick-backs.

LOL!  They built a new exit off I-270 South just down the street from me.

Exit 11's ramp went from 450 feet to 1.1 miles in length, Totally unnecessary.

Somebody's pocket was lined...all that asphalt, etc..  Maryland is run by the MOB.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2024, 06:39:58 pm »
They will dig a tunnel with federal tax dollars, and open it in 12 years.  Good luck with AMTRAK, y'all.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #73 on: March 26, 2024, 07:05:51 pm »
Biden promises US government will pay for Baltimore’s Francis Scott Key Bridge reconstruction
By
Naomi Lim

President Joe Biden would like the federal government to pay for the reconstruction of Baltimore‘s Francis Scott Key Bridge despite its collapse being caused by a foreign container ship.

“I have directed my team to move heaven and earth to reopen the port and rebuild the bridge as soon as humanly possible,” Biden told reporters in the White House‘s Roosevelt Room Tuesday. “It’s my intention that the federal government will pay for the entire cost of reconstructing that bridge. And I expect Congress to support my effort.”

“To the people of Baltimore, we are with you. We will stay with you as long as it takes,” he said. “Like the governor said, you are Maryland tough, Baltimore strong. We will get through this together.”

Critics are poised to compare Biden’s announcement that he will travel to Baltimore “as soon as possible” to his response to East Palestine, Ohio. Shortly after the toxic train derailment last year, the president promised to visit the site, but he didn’t go until last month, coinciding with the first anniversary. East Palestine is in a Republican area of Ohio.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/white-house/2938867/biden-promises-us-government-will-pay-baltimore-key-bridge-reconstruction/
Support the USO

Offline the OlLine Rebel

« Reply #74 on: March 26, 2024, 07:11:47 pm »
Actually, it was.  For a steel-framed structure, they did a good job of protecting that steel from fire in the original design.  That protection included an asbestos sheathing for the primary beams.  Unfortunately, liberals got involved mid-construction by insisting that this asbestos sheathing be replaced with a new foam-type covering.  This change was implemented around the 60th floor upward.

Anyone working in the WTC knew that if there was a fire above the 60th floor, they were screwed.

No, it was not designed for large fully loaded airplanes flying full speed into it. It was designed for 707s but not the thought they’d be gunning it. Don’t know they’d assume full fueling either or where it hits.  Just stating “airplane” engenders many factors that have to be assumed.  You come up with reasonable scenarios, not outlandish insanity.  Cost-benefit has to be employed.  It cannot be avoided. There’s nothing wrong with that. Just that realize many things are not designed for insane scenarios.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue.