State Chapters > California

California food chains laying off workers ahead of new minimum wage law

<< < (3/3)

Smokin Joe:

--- Quote from: SZonian on March 26, 2024, 10:25:29 am ---I don't begrudge someone doing this type of work if that is what works for them and makes them happy. He may not have harbored the same ambitions as you and I, but it sounds like he enjoyed his job. A messed up situation all around regardless...

--- End quote ---
In my year in that business, if you are surrounded by good, fun people, it's not so bad, despite my career sights having been set higher. It isn't six figures, like the oil patch, but the oil patch went dead during COVID--something about oil going negative causing drilling rigs to finish the well they were on and stack out.

For those not accustomed to that income level or type of work, it paid the bills if they had a working spouse or roommate, and less than a tribe of kids. For me, it paid the basic bills, bought gas, groceries, and incidentals (my house was paid off and no car payment). We also got a free medium pizza of our choice (or an order of wings), and often there were either cook's mistakes or unclaimed pick-up pizzas, too.
You did not go hungry.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version