Author Topic: MAGA - What Exactly Does That Mean ?  (Read 10954 times)

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
Re: MAGA - What Exactly Does That Mean ?
« Reply #100 on: March 31, 2024, 08:33:39 pm »
And now we have the statement "Inflation is out of control".  Typical sales pitch.

How about the following:

1. What is the current inflation rate ?
2. When is inflation out of control ?
3. When is inflation in control ?
4. Who decided the parameters for 2 and 3.

You see, it's simple. 

Inflation is X (some kind of percentage as measure by.....since inflation is not constant for all items).

When inflation is Y, it's good.
When inlfation is Z, it's not good, but not bad.
When inflation is WTH,  then it is bad.
When inflation is WTBH, then it is out of control. 

Data based information and analysis....what we don't have today.

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
« Reply #101 on: March 31, 2024, 08:35:30 pm »
They just suddenly started pushing for green energy ?

Don't think so.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #102 on: March 31, 2024, 08:37:20 pm »
Things are not "good" right now.  Far from it.  Unfortunately, 'MAGA' doesn't have the first clue in fixing it.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online LMAO

« Reply #103 on: March 31, 2024, 09:02:55 pm »

One of the things that makes America great is that we have survived idiots in the WH since 2000 (and an argument could be made that we've actually been surviving idiots since 1988).

And despite some of the hyperbole coming from  both sides, I don't believe the country is finished if the "wrong" candidate wins this fall
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline libertybele

« Reply #104 on: March 31, 2024, 09:03:27 pm »
Yes, I do.

If you want to ask a legitimate (unprejudiced) question, feel free.  Otherwise, find someone else to lecture.

No one is lecturing you. Most of the country feels the pinch in their wallets, observes rising inflation and acknowledges the crisis at our southern border.  I don't exactly need an XYZ formula to know that it now takes $50.00 to fill up my tank vs. $25.00 to fill up my tank before Biden took office. I don't need an XYZ forumla to know that the prices at the grocery store have skyrocketed.

Even the local news has now focused on the CRISIS at the border and @rangerrebew has done a pretty good job of keeping everyone informed. So again, I don't need an XYZ formula to acknowledge the crisis -- something that I did research on even back when 'W' was president.

Hey, with that being said, I am glad that everything is just peachy for you.  :laugh:
« Last Edit: March 31, 2024, 09:09:00 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #105 on: March 31, 2024, 09:12:43 pm »
Things are not "good" right now.  Far from it.  Unfortunately, 'MAGA' doesn't have the first clue in fixing it.

Things are horrible right now.  As for MAGA the premise (at least it used to be) is to take back power from the FEDS and return it to the states.  Big Brother's overreach continues and stopping that somehow is very much needed along with the run away spending.

My concern right now is what Joe is going to agree to at the upcoming U.N. Summit in September.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #106 on: March 31, 2024, 09:15:01 pm »
And despite some of the hyperbole coming from  both sides, I don't believe the country is finished if the "wrong" candidate wins this fall

Well, I don't think either candidate is going to be good for the country.  We'll see what happens @LMAO you have a much more positive outlook than I do.

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
« Reply #107 on: March 31, 2024, 09:24:34 pm »
No one is lecturing you. Most of the country feels the pinch in their wallets, observes rising inflation and acknowledges the crisis at our southern border.  I don't exactly need an XYZ formula to know that it now takes $50.00 to fill up my tank vs. $25.00 to fill up my tank before Biden took office. I don't need an XYZ forumla to know that the prices at the grocery store have skyrocketed.

Even the local news has now focused on the CRISIS at the border and @rangerrebew has done a pretty good job of keeping everyone informed. So again, I don't need an XYZ formula to acknowledge the crisis -- something that I did research on even back when 'W' was president.

Hey, with that being said, I am glad that everything is just peachy for you.  :laugh:

Thank you for letting us know that we should just ignore your posts as we have no idea what you are talking about.

I filled my tank for 2.99/gallon the other day.

I also know (because I work in the field) that adjusted for inflation, gasoline is cheaper today than it was 30 years ago. 

We are just spoiled. 

Do I enjoy paying more for gasoline ?  No.

Do I understand the history, yes.

Groceries have gone up.  That is for sure.

BTW: I don't ever recall using the word peachy.  In fact I hate that word (for reasons I won't share).

I said good. 

I would rather have expensive gas than live under a European tax system where they force you into apartments.

I would rather have higher groceries and be able to own my home on a plot of land sharing no walls.

I still have free speech in my state.

I think we are getting better at election integrity.

And I have hope.

So, things are far from perfect, but they could be a whole lot worse. 

I work to improve things, but I don't freak out over what isn't right.

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
« Reply #108 on: March 31, 2024, 09:24:56 pm »
Now, back to the topic.

What does MAGA mean.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #109 on: March 31, 2024, 09:26:05 pm »
And now we have the statement "Inflation is out of control".  Typical sales pitch.

How about the following:

1. What is the current inflation rate ?
2. When is inflation out of control ?
3. When is inflation in control ?
4. Who decided the parameters for 2 and 3.

You see, it's simple. 

Inflation is X (some kind of percentage as measure by.....since inflation is not constant for all items).

When inflation is Y, it's good.
When inlfation is Z, it's not good, but not bad.
When inflation is WTH,  then it is bad.
When inflation is WTBH, then it is out of control. 

Data based information and analysis....what we don't have today.

No, things are not good right now... And any moron can go into a grocery store and know the effects of inflation. The numbers are a head-fake, purposefully omitting data at retail, where it counts, and proves the most.

An acceptable rate of inflation does not exist. It is a symptom of monetary weakness. A lagging indicator of too much liquidity in fiat currency - They've printed and let too much. The more Benjamins in circulation, the less each of them is really worth. Simple as that.

What fixes it is one of two things - Banking failures at the top (interest rates jacked up to account for the inflation), or enough foreclosure and destruction at the bottom - One way or another A butt-ton of benjamins have to be disintegrated.

I will leave it to your imagination which path will be chosen.

1. Print more money
2. Lever interest to create destruction at the top.
3. Destroy the bottom with systemic destruction of businesses and foreclosures.

Those are the fixes. Which pill would you have?

And no more spending our way out. That is a meager fix anymore.

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
« Reply #110 on: March 31, 2024, 09:27:13 pm »

I was at an LD meeting and we listening to two slates running for At Large seats on the county committee.

Three of one slate got up and said, "if we lose this election, it is over". 

I ALMOST stood up and said, "Shut up with the fearmongering".  I am sick of it.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #111 on: March 31, 2024, 09:27:35 pm »
Thank you for letting us know that we should just ignore your posts as we have no idea what you are talking about.

I filled my tank for 2.99/gallon the other day.

I also know (because I work in the field) that adjusted for inflation, gasoline is cheaper today than it was 30 years ago. 

We are just spoiled. 

Do I enjoy paying more for gasoline ?  No.

Do I understand the history, yes.

Groceries have gone up.  That is for sure.

BTW: I don't ever recall using the word peachy.  In fact I hate that word (for reasons I won't share).

I said good. 

I would rather have expensive gas than live under a European tax system where they force you into apartments.

I would rather have higher groceries and be able to own my home on a plot of land sharing no walls.

I still have free speech in my state.

I think we are getting better at election integrity.

And I have hope.

So, things are far from perfect, but they could be a whole lot worse. 

I work to improve things, but I don't freak out over what isn't right.

I paid $3.79/gal the other day.

Anyways -- I won't go there.  It's Easter Sunday.  Hope you have a Happy one.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #112 on: March 31, 2024, 09:39:12 pm »

That's right, as long as the money holds up. There's still a very long way to fall.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #113 on: April 01, 2024, 06:29:41 pm »
From Democrats.  Oh, wait . . .

Are you saying no Republican expressed disappointment that Reagan injected "debtor nation" into the national lexicon, or agreed to amnesty for illegals, and not one Republican thought shipping arms to Iran was a bad idea @Hoodat ?

« Last Edit: April 01, 2024, 07:17:42 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
« Reply #114 on: April 08, 2024, 02:11:55 am »

The Fins are pretty good at considering what they have and not getting to excited about what they don't have. 

This country would benefit from a lot more of that.

Things will never be perfect. 

Things could be a lot better.

But they are still pretty good, in my estimation.

But I am all ears about what:

1. Made America great that it lost.
2. And how we will know we are great "again".

I think MAGA is a sales pitch.  A rope through the nose rings of those who are freaked out by the news media and easily hearded to places they shouldn't be.

Just my opinion.

And no, I don't like all the illegals. 

But illegal immigration didn't show up last week.

And the GOP has done little to stem the tide.

They could use it to their advantage....if they just thought about it.

Maybe that is when America is great again.  When we don't have morons for federal leaders.....

Uh oh.....not sure that's ever going to happen.

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
« Reply #115 on: April 10, 2024, 03:17:10 am »
So we have a poster mouthing off on another thread about how I won't listen to what people have to say about MAGA.

I asked for specifics.  I have seen....zip. 

And I see a lot of people who are in the same camp I am.

When someone wants to tell me what MAGA looks like, I am all ears.

And spare me the illegals invasion.  I don't like it, but it's been going on for decades. 

I loved Ronald Reagan, but recall his signing the Immigration and Reform Control Act.  Looked great on paper until Republicans and Democrats decided to simply ignore huge parts of it.

Reagan then signed the EMTALA act essentially guaranteeing some level of health care to illegals.  And have they taken advantage of it.

Maybe America is great again when we revoke laws like this and tell the SCOTUS (of that day) to shove it when the say (as they did in the late 80's) that illegals had a right to be in school.

When Jan Brewer got her controversial law passed, some classrooms shrunk by 25% overnight.

It can be done.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 03:19:58 am by HikerGuy83 »

Online Hoodat

« Reply #116 on: April 10, 2024, 03:45:00 am »
Are you saying no Republican expressed disappointment that Reagan injected "debtor nation" into the national lexicon

Reagan didn't inject "debtor nation" into the national lexicon.

(See Logical Fallacies:  Loaded Question)
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Hoodat

« Reply #117 on: April 10, 2024, 03:51:13 am »
So we have a poster mouthing off on another thread about how I won't listen to what people have to say about MAGA.

I asked for specifics.  I have seen....zip. 

And I see a lot of people who are in the same camp I am.

When someone wants to tell me what MAGA looks like, I am all ears.

I can show you.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #118 on: April 10, 2024, 11:30:04 pm »
Are you saying no Republican expressed disappointment that Reagan injected "debtor nation" into the national lexicon, or agreed to amnesty for illegals, and not one Republican thought shipping arms to Iran was a bad idea @Hoodat ?

Except those weren't the grounds on which Trump criticized Reagan.   He was massively opposed to the Reagan defense buildup - spoke out against it in a full page age he published two months after visiting the Soviet Union in 1987

Some things never change.....

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
« Reply #119 on: April 11, 2024, 03:18:03 am »
I can show you.

I am not going to try and decipher your meaning. 

If you are thinking national debt, then why is Trump leading the charge (for Maga).  He has helped run it up.

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
« Reply #120 on: April 11, 2024, 03:20:26 am »
Folks...anytime any of you want to take a shot at explaining MAGA, I am very interested. 

I like the idea of making America better.  It could use a lot of improvement. 

It would be an improvement if we shut down all the lie-spewing cable news horsecrap.  But that would be killing freedom of speech.  So......

On we go.  There are other things I am thinking about.

I don't think those who strut MAGA around have a clue.

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
« Reply #121 on: April 11, 2024, 03:21:20 am »
Folks...anytime any of you want to take a shot at explaining MAGA, I am very interested. 

I like the idea of making America better.  It could use a lot of improvement. 

It would be an improvement if we shut down all the lie-spewing cable news horsecrap.  But that would be killing freedom of speech.  So......

On we go.  There are other things I am thinking about.

I don't think those who strut MAGA around have a clue.

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
« Reply #122 on: April 12, 2024, 05:00:32 am »
I cornered someone yesterday.

A friend.

They were talking about how great Trump was and so I talked a bit and then asked ?

If you are for MAGA, then you thought America was great once.  What made it great ?

And what did we lose that is making it not so great now ?

And how will we know and what can we expect when it is "great again". 

No answer.  We chatted and I explained that I had been doing this to others.  They took it good naturedly and suggested maybe they should be able to answer those questions.

I just hope they don't listen to Trump to find them.

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
« Reply #123 on: April 26, 2024, 04:57:22 pm »
BTW: Debt is way past 34 trillion.

Biden is headed for a 2.5 trillion dollar deficit this year.

We'll be at 40 trillion by the end of the decade.

I have not hear or seen anything from the MAGA crowd on that one.   

Making America better would include getting the debt under control and balancing the budget.

I might start a group called MASA: Make America Sane Again

or Make America Solvent Again.

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
« Reply #124 on: April 26, 2024, 05:02:01 pm »
Suppose it's like pornography:  You know it when you see it.

And we're not seeing it today.

Not everyone sees porn the same way (I guess based on what I've read about the 1st amendment protections it is given).

Not everyone sees greatness the  same way.

So I am going to have to disagree with you on this one.