General Category > Elections 2024

Biden Jokes About Trump Struggling to Pay Massive New York Fine

(1/3) > >>

mystery-ak:
Biden Jokes About Trump Struggling to Pay Massive New York Fine

Joel B. Pollak 19 Mar 2024

President Joe Biden joked at the Gridiron Dinner this past weekend about former President Donald Trump’s struggle to pay nearly half a billion dollars in fines resulting from a controversial civil fraud judgement against him in New York.

New York Attorney General Letitia James (D) — who ran for office specifically promising to use the law to pursue Trump for unspecified sins — declared that “everyone must play by the same rules,” though the Trump case was unprecedented.

Trump was sued for allegedly inflating his net worth under a New York law that does not require the state to show intent, and in which the banks he supposedly defrauded said they had not lost any money on loans given to him.

The Democrat judge, Arthur Engoron, delivered a summary judgment against Trump that denied him the opportunity to mount a defense. Now, Trump is scrambling to find a way to pay the $464 million judgment — including interest.

The former president was able to obtain financing for a bond for the more than $90 million he was ordered to pay writer E. Jean Carroll in a separate New York case, over claims of sexual assault and defamation, pending his appeal.

But Trump has been unable to find insurance companies willing to underwrite the massive bond necessary for the bond in the fraud case, meaning that he may have to sell some of his real estate holdings at discounted “fire sale” prices.

Biden — or his speechwriters — thought this was good fodder for a joke at the Gridiron Dinner, despite the fact that his son faces criminal (not civil) charges for his own financial dealings, which allegedly also benefited Biden himself.

Biden said:

Our big plan to cancel student debt doesn’t apply to everyone. Just yesterday, a defeated-looking man came up to me and said, “I’m being crushed by debt. I’m completely wiped out.” I said, “Sorry, Donald, I can’t help you.” (Laughter and applause.)

more
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2024/03/19/biden-jokes-about-trump-struggling-to-pay-massive-new-york-fine/

mystery-ak:
I hate this man... :smokin:

Texas Yellow Rose:

--- Quote from: mystery-ak on March 19, 2024, 10:14:21 pm ---I hate this man... :smokin:

--- End quote ---
You're not alone.

Sighlass:
Not just Biden, visit any hard left news outlet... They are cheering how broke Trump is now. I don't like Trump, but this was a BS political decision for far too much money to kneecap Trump beyond how they would rule on their own leftist. Even as pointed out the other day, the DA there has done the same thing but nothing but silence on the matter.

libertybele:
I often wonder if Biden is a demented as he portrays?  He can joke about something like this, yet supposedly can't even make his way across a stage or take questions? 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version