General Category > Politics/Government

Ex-general recounts opposition to disastrous Afghanistan pullout, laments Biden ‘strategic failure’

<< < (2/4) > >>

Hoodat:

mystery-ak:

--- Quote from: Hoodat on March 20, 2024, 01:47:12 am ---

--- End quote ---

I hope Trump uses that pic on a campaign ad...

Maj. Bill Martin:

--- Quote from: mystery-ak on March 20, 2024, 01:44:02 am ---Milley confirms he got piece of paper ordering full withdrawal from Afghanistan during final Trump days
By
Mike Brest
March 19, 2024 4:48 pm

Shortly after former President Donald Trump lost his reelection bid in November 2020, then-Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Mark Milley was given a piece of paper that called for the withdrawal of U.S. forces in Somalia and Afghanistan.

Milley, who has since retired as a general in the Army, told lawmakers that he received the note days after Trump fired then-Secretary of Defense Mark Esper in the aftermath of the election. The piece of paper, he told lawmakers on the House Foreign Affairs Committee on Tuesday, had the president’s signature on it and called for the complete withdrawal of U.S. forces from Somalia by Dec. 15, 2020, and from Afghanistan by Jan. 15, 2021.

“Acting Secretary of Defense [Christopher] Miller and I and others went over to the White House to confirm that order because we had not been consulted on that,” Milley explained. “So we did, and that order was then subsequently rescinded.”

Roughly a week later, he received a new order from then-national security adviser Robert O’Brien, which called for the U.S. military to reduce its troop presence to 2,500.

News of the note emerged last November via a book by ABC News’s Jonathan Karl, who reported that it was not in fact written by Trump but by John McEntee, who was serving as director of the Presidential Personnel Office. Milley did not reveal in his testimony who gave him the note or who wrote it.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/defense/2928575/milley-paper-order-withdrawal-afghanistan-final-trump-days/

--- End quote ---

Not the least bit surprising.  Trump gave a half-cocked order that he ended up rescinding after pushback from advisors.

Smokin Joe:
So, did Trump write the note or not?

bilo:

--- Quote from: berdie on March 19, 2024, 09:10:43 pm ---I still carry deep anger over this. And who do you believe? These Generals that seem to be saying...Not Us!!! Or the sorry State Department.

But I guess it really doesn't matter. It was a horrendous screw-up. All carry guilt.

--- End quote ---

You should!

I didn't see any of these tough talking Generals stand up and resign before executing such a stupid plan. They aren't worth a bucket of spit, anybody can stand up and say "I didn't think it was right" after the fact.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version