Author Topic: Exclusive — Donald Trump: ‘I Will Never Do Anything that Will Jeopardize or Hurt Social Security or  (Read 1653 times)

Online Hoodat

So those taxes we pay out of our paycheck for our entire working lives specifically to that trust fund... we were just writing IOUs the whole time?  :rolling:

No.  The taxes you paid out of your paycheck for your entire working live went into the general fund and was spent immediately.  There is no trust fund.  There's only the US Treasury.  And it is currently over $30 trillion in debt.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Hoodat

You don't seem to get it. They're still confiscating that 14%, they're just handing it to a crony company to prop up their stock price. 

Nope.  That is not at all what I am saying.  Getting government the hell out of the way means that government does not get to touch that 14%.  It goes directly from your paycheck into your 401(k) or IRA fund - a fund that the government has no control over.  A fund that the government can't touch.  Not sure where you got this idea that the government would continue confiscating it.  Because that certainly is NOT what I said.

Well, that makes sense. You want to give your children unearned, untaxed income. In other words, spoiling and corrupting them into little Donald Trumps. 

Compared to your plan:  'Let the government have it all'?  Again, I'll choose Option 2.

Do you seriously not remember Obamacare? It was only a decade ago now. You were ordered to buy a government approved health insurance plan — or pay a penalty and get nothing.

Obamacare is still the law of the land.  They just took away the penalty.

Your proposed mandatory retirement account would follow the same system.

Except that insurance isn't the same as an investment account.  An HSA, maybe.  But Obamacare isn't an HSA.  It is the opposite of an HSA.

The dollar is fiat. Its intrinsic value is zero.

Which is EXACTLY why we should have the ability to invest in something other than dollars - something like equities, for example.  Only an idiot would insist we invest in dollars with no intrinsic value, which is EXACTLY what Social Security does.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline LMAO

These debates and ideas brought forth by members on this forum are all definitely worth the read

This debate is going to come before Congress, despite their desire to ignore it

And we need serious candidates with serious ideas and solutions. Talking points, slogans, and false promises are not gonna fix the problem
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
LMAO:
"This debate is going to come before Congress, despite their desire to ignore it"

It won't.
Even if it does, there will be some hearings, a committee formed to study the issue and make recommendations, a report issued, and... ignored.

Once again, "realpolitik".

Those who have the power to fix or change SS won't do so for as long as they can refrain from doing so.
And that will be for as long as the system keeps churning along.

When will it get fixed?
WHEN IT BREAKS DOWN, with people rioting in the streets.

Until then, keep arguing.

Hmmm...
What would I recommend to do with SS right now?
OK...
a. increase the payroll tax a modest amount, an increase of 1-2%
b. cut benefits across the board a small percentage, say, 3-5%.
c. strictly tighten SS "disability" qualifications. The intent of SS is for "retirement", and should be regulated as such.
d. NO increase in retirement age. See Ms. Berdie's succinct reply 16 above (the lady has it right).

Offline LMAO

WHEN IT BREAKS DOWN, with people rioting in the streets.

Who is going to be rioting in the streets over Social Security? It’s not going to be elderly people. And unlikely it’s going to be young people who don’t receive it but are seeing more and more of their paycheck being confiscated to pop up a program they may not benefit from their old age

And both Britain and Sweden, for example,  privatized their Social Security type systems before their systems collapsed and they were no riots in the streets when they did this

You just  made the case against Donald Trump
« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 10:59:59 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy