Author Topic: New York And California Getting Totally Lost With Energy Storage  (Read 434 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
New York And California Getting Totally Lost With Energy Storage
March 08, 2024/ Francis Menton

For a number of years, I’ve been observing demands of activists and promises of politicians that we transition our electrical grid to being supplied mainly by the intermittent renewables, wind and solar, with all large dispatchable sources (fossil fuel and nuclear) banished.  Early on, I thought it was obvious that such a transition would inevitably mean that the only way to make the grid function full-time would be energy storage —  on a vast scale never before contemplated or attempted.

How much storage, and at what potential cost?  This is actually an arithmetic problem, somewhat cumbersome but conceptually very elementary, and easily done with today’s widely-available spreadsheet programs.  To help matters along, in December 2022 I produced my energy storage Report (“The Energy Storage Conundrum”), laying out the main options and the calculations involved.  My conclusion was that I could not see any way that this could be done at remotely feasible cost.  (Anybody who disagrees is welcome to prove me wrong.)  Today, if somebody wants to effect an energy transition in a state or country, they can just look to my Report to quickly understand the nature and extent of the energy storage challenge.

What has actually occurred since December 2022 is that our “climate leader” jurisdictions — in the U.S., that would be New York and California — have moved forward with energy storage proposals that any moron can easily see will not work.  Both states are in the process of spending huge sums of money on storage capacity that is so small as to be meaningless to address the problem, and at the same time not technically capable of meeting the challenge no matter the cost.  Naturally, the federal government is also involved to pick up a big chunk of the wasted cost from its infinite pile of money.

https://www.manhattancontrarian.com/blog/2024-3-8-new-york-getting-totally-lost-with-energy-storage
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: New York And California Getting Totally Lost With Energy Storage
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2024, 11:41:41 am »
They had it. All that water behind the dams wasn't just something to splash around in or to save water for lawns. It was hydropower in storage.

Those big, 'ugly' tanks full of petroleum products held motor fuels, natural gas, and other forms of energy, but all that is being outlawed for batteries that won't get you far and get you home, too. Pipelines let them tap into storage elsewhere, but those got banned. There is plenty still under the ground. Maybe they can figure out how to get it out?  Maybe even use it?

Maybe they can point the politicians at the windmills and let off their hot air to generate some electricity. Keep them away from the photovoltaics, though, their penumbra is large, and they aren't bright enough to generate a millivolt.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2024, 11:43:12 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2024, 12:45:13 pm »
Petroleum, natural gas, coal, and biomass are Nature's stores of energy.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2024, 01:48:59 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Offline LMAO

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2024, 02:50:37 pm »
At some point, the voters in both states are going to have to choose between their states embracing  the 21st Century or if they want to continue their decline
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2024, 09:52:51 pm »
LMAO:
"At some point, the voters in both states are going to have to choose between their states embracing  the 21st Century or if they want to continue their decline"

Stop kidding yourself.
It's California and New York.
They're not going to change.

Indeed, the worse things get, the MORE LEFTIST they'll vote.
All the way until... complete collapse.
And then...?

(they'll probably STILL vote for the communists...)