Democrat alternative to Joe if he bows out by end of convention
3 (2.6%)
3rd Party, including RFK, Jr.
10 (8.6%)
I'll probably be too stoned to vote
13 (11.2%)

Total Members Voted: 116

Voting closed: April 08, 2024, 02:03:54 pm

Author Topic: Pulse of Briefers- Election Sentiment 8 Months Out  (Read 53524 times)

Offline Hoodat

Re: Pulse of Briefers- Election Sentiment 8 Months Out
« Reply #350 on: March 23, 2024, 06:05:10 pm »
Easy to say. But no. The people who didn't pay it back set it off.
The creation of debt is not the problem. It's the not paying it back.

It can be argued that the borrowing under Reagan (which was miniscule compared to today) was an investment toward ending the Cold War - an investment with a concrete payback.  After the end of the Cold War, our Defense budget fell from 7% of GDP down to 3%, which can be translated to a full 4% of GDP going towards paying that debt.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online LMAO

« Reply #351 on: March 23, 2024, 06:08:22 pm »
It can be argued that the borrowing under Reagan (which was miniscule compared to today) was an investment toward ending the Cold War - an investment with a concrete payback.  After the end of the Cold War, our Defense budget fell from 7% of GDP down to 3%, which can be translated to a full 4% of GDP going towards paying that debt.

Every citizen owes the Fed Gov over 1000,000 to pay off the national debt. That's just the national debt. And there are no plans to even dent that in the coming years

What is that going to look like in 4 years? Eight years?
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline libertybele

« Reply #352 on: March 23, 2024, 06:09:11 pm »
@Right_in_Virginia

OMG! That aspect of the shutdown just hit me. I just took it as their hatred for all things pertaining to God. I never even looked at it from the POV that conservatives need to be prevented from hatching plans to stand up against their tyranny. Thanks for that!! I'm more horrified than before, but I'm happy to understand more of their thinking.

@AllThatJazzZ that aspect hit me when we were first told we needed to flatten the curve. Me living in FL decided to get some sunshine and fresh air and a change of scenery.  So off I went to a local park which I found to be shut down!  What?  I asked myself?  How is sunshine and fresh air going to hurt or spread COVID? Reality slapped me in the face; it was another place that people gather that they wanted shut down. It made no sense other than government control and preventing people from gathering.

Luckily DeSantis saw what was going on and our parks were re-opened and slowly restaurants and pubs/taverns, stores, banks, libraries, etc. were re-opened.  Much sooner than the rest of the country -- people went back to work for the most part.  Hospitals retained the CDC/WHO protocol for awhile, but eventually DeSantis stepped in and they allowed the public to decide whether or not to wear masks and allowed visitors.

Yes, COVID was an instrument utilized to steal an election and put a strain on our economy.  Say what you want about Trump, but he was in unprecedented territory and I believe once he was told that hdryochloronique (sp?) wasn't allowed by Fauci, yet was working against COVID, he saw the writing on the wall.  IMHO he handled the pandemic well.  Yes, I know that most are flinging arrows at me right now, but that's my opinion of the situation.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #353 on: March 23, 2024, 06:11:22 pm »
Every citizen owes the Fed Gov over 1000,000 to pay off the national debt. That's just the national debt. And there are no plans to even dent that in the coming years

Hyperinflation will take care of it.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online LMAO

« Reply #354 on: March 23, 2024, 06:11:37 pm »

Luckily DeSantis saw what was going on and our parks were re-opened and slowly restaurants and pubs/taverns, stores, banks, libraries, etc. were re-opened.  Much sooner than the rest of the country -- people went back to work for the most part.  Hospitals retained the CDC/WHO protocol for awhile, but eventually DeSantis stepped in and they allowed the public to decide whether or not to wear masks and allowed visitors.

And he, along with other governors who did likewise were excoriated by the press. I remember the name "Govenor Deathsantis" given to him by the likes of the NYT's and the left

But he and others stood their ground and proved to be right
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #355 on: March 23, 2024, 06:12:02 pm »

Right, with but one correction: 4% of GDP ought to go toward paying it back - That never happened. The growth that Reagan fostered lasted twenty years. Twenty years of plenty, and during all that time, the debt only grew... 94 is the only time that approached decent husbandry and a faint stab at fiscal responsibility.

Like any dumass teen with a credit card, the government thought the money was magically appearing.
Maggie was right though - The debt comes due. Sooner or later you run out of other people's money.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #356 on: March 23, 2024, 06:15:07 pm »

Woohoo! yeah, baby! [/s]

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #357 on: March 23, 2024, 06:16:26 pm »
And he, along with other governors who did likewise were excoriated by the press. I remember the name "Govenor Deathsantis" given to him by the likes of the NYT's and the left

But he and others stood their ground and proved to be right

Thank God for folks that stand on principle and will not be swayed...

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #358 on: March 23, 2024, 06:19:17 pm »
"The Road To Hell Is Paved With Good Intentions" Ronald Reagan
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #359 on: March 23, 2024, 06:21:00 pm »

So MTG and her friends are right?  Vacate the Chair!
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #360 on: March 23, 2024, 06:21:45 pm »

In eight years, a $38 trillion debt becomes $56 trillion at current interest rates.  And that only assumes that we add nothing to it (which isn't happening).

Realistically though, lets assume that the federal government continues with $1.5 trillion deficits over the next 8 years (which is significantly lower than it has been), then by 2032, we will be looking at a national debt of over $70 trillion.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #361 on: March 23, 2024, 06:22:41 pm »

MTG and her friends are right.  Cooperating with Democrats is destroying this country.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline libertybele

« Reply #362 on: March 23, 2024, 06:26:02 pm »
MTG and her friends are right.  Cooperating with Democrats is destroying this country.

Absolutely!!

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #363 on: March 23, 2024, 06:26:27 pm »
Right, with but one correction: 4% of GDP ought to go toward paying it back - That never happened. The growth that Reagan fostered lasted twenty years. Twenty years of plenty, and during all that time, the debt only grew... 94 is the only time that approached decent husbandry and a faint stab at fiscal responsibility.

My point was that the money did make its way back into the US Treasury.  But instead of retiring debt, they chose to spend it on other things.  But then what did you expect from anti-Reagan in the White House from '89-'93.  Bush Sr. took a 90+% approval rating and completely destroyed it in one year by ceding control of the budget and the economy over to the Democrats while he fought the Gulf War.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline libertybele

« Reply #364 on: March 23, 2024, 06:27:14 pm »

Amen! That is the only thing that is going to save this country.  Are there enough principled folks left to do so though?

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #365 on: March 23, 2024, 06:35:16 pm »

As I have already expressed, I'm almost alright with that.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #366 on: March 23, 2024, 06:37:49 pm »
In eight years, a $38 trillion debt becomes $56 trillion at current interest rates.  And that only assumes that we add nothing to it (which isn't happening).

Realistically though, lets assume that the federal government continues with $1.5 trillion deficits over the next 8 years (which is significantly lower than it has been), then by 2032, we will be looking at a national debt of over $70 trillion.

Well thankfully, hyperinflation will be keeping up, and we'll be able to settle the entire debt with a loaf of bread.
woo!! good times.

*****rollingeyes*****

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #367 on: March 23, 2024, 07:14:56 pm »
Good point @DCPatriot   We've lost the fine art of in-person interactions and discussion.  The birthing clinics for the first American freedom fighters were churches and taverns ---- which just might explain why both were among the places shut down in liberal states during Covid.

We need to return to this tradition ---- without the electronics.

@Right_in_Virginia

Just waking up from a 2 hour nap and returning to this now fabulous discussion...seeing your post.

Call it a 'Gift'. Life and career experiences have awarded me with both a PHD and Doctorate in "Inclination"...recognizing diamonds among the basic shitheads out there.

And here, having never met any of you in 'Real Life', it comes as absolutely no surprise why I've gravitated toward you over the many years.

Thanks for being here.   :beer:

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #368 on: March 23, 2024, 07:37:38 pm »
Good point @DCPatriot   We've lost the fine art of in-person interactions and discussion.  The birthing clinics for the first American freedom fighters were churches and taverns ---- which just might explain why both were among the places shut down in liberal states during Covid.

We need to return to this tradition ---- without the electronics.

A few people here, myself among them, were screaming like banshees about COVID being a biological attack by China on this country, abetted by the left and their lemming media.

I have not had a COVID test or a vaccine to this day and have no intention to EVER have one. 

The Hillary Clinton presidency was supposed to be what put the cap on the jar - the final act of the long march through the institutions - forever sealing the idea of a republic in this world. Thankfully God prevented that and that is when COVID hit the scene.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 07:40:18 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #369 on: March 23, 2024, 07:43:25 pm »
Exactly right.  One of the pastors of a former church that we went to, moved to a different church and took a different position.  He addressed the 'church' and made comment of what was being done during COVID; trying to shut down churches so that like minded, conservative Christians couldn't gather.  He made the comment, looking up to he heavens as he spoke; have mercy on us, as that's not going to happen  -- we will continue to gather.

Christianity and churches are being targeted. 

Stand your ground and remain steadfast in your faith and the values and morals upon which you grew up with; predominately those same values and principles upon which this country was founded.

We will continue to gather but NEVER will we utter a word that might endanger our 501c3 status!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #370 on: March 23, 2024, 07:45:37 pm »

My comment about the enemy was just what I have observed.  When I see the things that are happening especially now, but began in 2009, I remember a comment someone made about the 2009 Inauguration and how the demonic now had unfettered access to the American government.  So when I see the outrages of the current regime, I'm always left thinking that satan couldn't have done a better job at destroying the blessings of this nation.

@Hoodat

Thanks for the memories.

Vividly recall posting back then--a prediction...that Conservatives would become "The New German Jew".

Sure... our good FRiend @MACVSOG68 (Mike) successfully talked me down off the ledge at the time.

But since then Hillary Clinton labeled us "Deplorables"...needing what she publicly said was "Re-education".

But also remember she and her friends publicly discussed...accepting liquidation of around 25 MILLION Americans to achieve her thesis goals...(It's Only the Fight).

They're still rounding up Americans through cell phone tower pings today...pertaining to the January 6th Capitol Event (Refuse to use the word "Insurrection")

Cripes....my best friend of over 22 years (pool table buddy); my 2 most recent 'girlfriends' I've known since the mid-90's)...my brother for God's sake...THEY"RE ALL bleeping COMMIES TODAY!  8888crybaby

Then I seek refuge on the political forum and what do I see? 

ORANGE MAN BAD!!!  day in and day out.

And in the back of my mind, I 'see' and hear James Cagney..."Where's Your Moses, Now??"

:thud:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #371 on: March 23, 2024, 07:47:54 pm »
@roamer_1 @Lando Lincoln @Hoodat @LMAO

Still more of this!

"There are thousands hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root."

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #372 on: March 23, 2024, 07:53:10 pm »
"The Road To Hell Is Paved With Good Intentions" Ronald Reagan

Just for you @bigheadfred

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."

Daniel Webster

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #373 on: March 23, 2024, 07:57:02 pm »

@Lando Lincoln

LOL!

Used to earn an average of $300K per annum at the turn of the century.

Today, I find myself avoiding the meat aisles even at COSTCO.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #374 on: March 23, 2024, 07:57:34 pm »
Just for you @bigheadfred

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."

Daniel Webster

888high58888